Poll: Good Deal Or Not. First Car.
Poll Options
View poll results: Good Deal Or Not. First Car.
Yes
6 32%
No
13 68%
Voters: 19.
I really want to get this car. It would be my first car and it is freackin awesome. It is $1500 bucks.
Please Help?

Quote:i got a 1997 honda prelude with approx. 140,000 miles on it. trying to get rid of quick. great parts car or even turn into a race car. was a good daily driver for a long time. car has alot of aftermarket(tein susp. lght weight wheels, projector headlamps, lambo doors, carbon fiber hood, greddy sp 2 exhaust, s2000 push button ignition, tachometer(original is broke), custom made headers, strut tower braces(f&R), cf tail lights, aem cold air intake with k&n air filter, alarm w/ remote start, brand new brakes and rotors.) i also have alot of extras(block, alternator, etc) it does need some head work, i blew the number 2 cyl. spark plug out of the head, timing belt is still on and working. new motor has approx. 66,000 miles on it. car has few small dents. this is still a steal for the just the parts on it. all electrical works, and frame is straight.

also have a 7inch touchscreen with bluetooth dvd player for 200.

i do have the bumper, just had to take it off for the tow truck.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26721890@N07/2532127560/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26721890@N07/2531313411/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26721890@N07/2531313435/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26721890@N07/2531313465/

Yes or No?
Is it a good car/deal.
It would take from about a couple hundred to about 1000 bucks to fix the head.
Last edited by tjfishrocker at May 28, 2008,
fail

edit: wtf happened to the front of it? It looks cool, but the Lambo doors look a bit lame IMO.
Last edited by FireandFlames at May 28, 2008,
ouch....try learning how to post an image before putting yourself on the road and putting the people driving around you in serious danger
Quote by tjfishrocker
It would take from about a couple hundred to about 1000 bucks to fix the head.

The cylinder head? What's wrong with it.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Quote by Vince Noir
The cylinder head? What's wrong with it.

Read what i just edited in. Sorry about screwing up the images too. I'll just post the links
Bit much for a first car ain't it?
Start off small.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Blurry 505
Can't give you an honest opinion..

We need specs; year, miles, motor, belt changes, tire changes, oil changes, interior, what exactly is damaged in the front

Can't go off pics man
PM me if you want to send me this stuff or the ad itself and ill give you an answer.

The fender is just taken off so that it would go on the tow truck. And a PM is on the way.
No. New motor = bad
All the addons = bad
Timing belt still working? B.S. = bad

3 strikes man, no good

Edit: Sorry my post before was before you edited your post. Thats all the info you need to really say thats not a good idea.. sorry man
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
Quote by Blurry 505
No. New motor = bad
All the addons = bad
Timing belt still working? B.S. = bad

3 strikes man, no good

Edit: Sorry my post before was before you edited your post. Thats all the info you need to really say thats not a good idea.. sorry man

I thought that new motor meant good and addons meant good?
It's hardly a "new" motor, with 66,000 miles on it.

It sounds pretty major if it blew a plug clean out of the head. $1000 to fix it - you'd be better off putting that towards something else that doesn't need so much work. A couple dents and scratches is fine, but you don't want to be fixing stuf like that right from the off.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
^ agreed

and the chances are he did all these addons (including the new motor) wrong. You just can't trust it, even from straight up career mechanics.

and with all those addons and such, why is it so cheap? If it was correctly done, with everything right the car would be much more expensive. There's something hes not telling you, and the timing belt = huge ass warning sign right there
Quote by Guitardude19

Tele's

Quote by Vince Noir
It's hardly a "new" motor, with 66,000 miles on it.

It sounds pretty major if it blew a plug clean out of the head. $1000 to fix it - you'd be better off putting that towards something else that doesn't need so much work. A couple dents and scratches is fine, but you don't want to be fixing stuf like that right from the off.

One of the most appealing things is that it is pretty cheap and it looks tight as crap. I might have to borrow this money in the first place to get a car, and i dont want to have a huge debt. Im getting a job soon i hope, but i'll be gone most summer so i wont get much work. I cant find any decent cars for the price i can get this one for. 2500 at the most is what it would cost.

Quote by Blurry 505
^ agreed

and the chances are he did all these addons (including the new motor) wrong. You just can't trust it, even from straight up career mechanics.

and with all those addons and such, why is it so cheap? If it was correctly done, with everything right the car would be much more expensive. There's something hes not telling you, and the timing belt = huge ass warning sign right there

When i talked to him he said he pretty much built this car himself from the ground up a few years ago, and this may sound stupid, but what is wrong with the timing belt, and what is it exactly? I kbow nothing about cars.

and check your PMs.
Last edited by tjfishrocker at May 28, 2008,
RUN AWAY!!!!! For your first car get something cheap that runs half decent. It doesn't matter how it looks, just how it drives.
the timing belt is in all those asian cars from 1992 (i think) to recently. American / European cars use a sort of chain, which is why they dont have this problem. But because the Japanese used a belt instead, it has a huge risk of breaking, and if that belt breaks and you dont know it (literally) immediately, the whole motor is shot. Useless. Barely junkyard worthy. These belts should be replaced every 40 - 60,000 miles. The car has a lot of miles, which says that the belt broke in the other engine, hence the replacement, or that he suddenly had the urge for a new motor? Doubt it. What kind of motor is it also?

And when he says great parts car, thats kinda scary. Its just overall a bad situation man, I really wouldnt do it. Especially for a first car. I bet if you look hard enough for the next 3 to 4 weeks (craigslist, local paper, maybe even ebay) you'll find somethin that doesnt need immediate work.

And that head replacement would probly cost about $1000, but thats not including labor most likely, and thats definitely not something you can do on your own.
Quote by Guitardude19

Tele's

The timing belt turns the camshafts, which open and close the valves in the head. If the belt breaks the valves don't close, while the piston shoots back up the cylinder at a million miles an hour. You can probably imagine what happens next. If it's been properly serviced the belt will have been changed at the right intervals, but the fact he mentions it just seems strange for some reason.

Also, that spark plug thing sounds well dodgy. Trust me, spark plugs DON'T just blow out the head, I don't care what car it is - that would take something major to do that.

Quote by Kumanji
Last edited by Vince Noir at May 28, 2008,
All those additions and customisations are gonna have a considerable impact on the price of your insurance.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Both these 2 are correct also by the way^^
Quote by Guitardude19

Tele's

Quote by tjfishrocker
I thought that new motor meant good and addons meant good?

Addons don't mean shit. Ask a used car dealer, if anything they'll lower the price of a car.

Quote by Kumanji
http://www.carforum.net/
These guys should know a little more about cars than a guitar site...
Just throwin that out there.
McLovin is my hero!

It's not the going that the pit cares about.
It's the coming.
Update

It sold thirty munites ago, after being on Craigs List for forty minutes, so I wont be getting this car
He says its a great PARTS car because as he says, he blew cylinder #2 and therefore it needs head work

That means it doesn't run, or at least it runs like crap and won't for much longer. Depending on how bad the damage is, you it would cost a lot to fix.

Find another car, this one is NOT a deal.
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by tjfishrocker
Update

It sold thirty munites ago, after being on Craigs List for forty minutes, so I wont be getting this car

You'll be better off buying a locally advertised car, or one from a local dealership or something.

Being able to actually see, touch and test-drive the car makes it easier to feel confident about parting with your cash.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
You will look like a gigantic faggot if you drive around in a honda with lambo doors, plus you would be buying a damaged car...not good in my opinion.
I wouldn't touch anything that has any add ons under the bonnet at all. You just know it'll have been thrashed to within an inch of its life. Lucky escape, glad you asked first.
first car? if you want a tuner car get a STOCK civic and do the mods yourself, not someone elses dodgy mods on a ruined car.
Quote by pimpinazndude
^ wut he said

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Quote by tjfishrocker
One of the most appealing things is that it is pretty cheap and it looks tight as crap. I might have to borrow this money in the first place to get a car, and i dont want to have a huge debt. Im getting a job soon i hope, but i'll be gone most summer so i wont get much work. I cant find any decent cars for the price i can get this one for. 2500 at the most is what it would cost.

When i talked to him he said he pretty much built this car himself from the ground up a few years ago, and this may sound stupid, but what is wrong with the timing belt, and what is it exactly? I kbow nothing about cars.

and check your PMs.

are you kidding me!!???!!! you don't know what the timing belt is and don't know nothing about cars? wt man, how do you plan on fixing it if you don't even no what you're doing? also you don't have a job and gas ain't cheap. if it were me i look for something a little more reliable.
member #4 of the lynyrd skynyrd fan club!

Hell yaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Quote by wshnationals
hell yes, redneckrocker2, hell yes.