ok so my teacher is teaching me about diatonic harmony. so for my homework i have to find all the notes of a particular scale, then all the triads that go along with that in diatonic harmony. so where do i go about starting this. they're all major keys so i need to know the particular notes that go along with that key/scale thing right? so i need to know how many W, H, intervals there are for major scales. that would give me the notes right? so for the triads would i just take those notes for the roots or something? an explanation would be nice.. thanks for the help in advance
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
do you know what diatonice harmony is?
i have an idea but im not sure...

do yo have any music theory knowledge at all?
it seems strange that your teacher would have you do harmonys but you don't even know the intervals between notes in the major scale
do you know what a triad is?
does 1,3,5 ring a bell?
if it doesn't i dont know why you're even asking about this stuff
Gear:
Jackson SL-3 Soloist w/ licensed Floyd Rose
Peavey VK 100 Head
Earcandy Boa 2X12 Cab w/ 70 watt Speakers
Fender Frontman 15 Watt Practice Amp

I'M SELLING A HOHNER HR1000 GUITAR. PM ME FOR INFO.
The best way to find the notes is to write it on paper. Use the proper key signature and write in the notes acending an octave. Then look at which notes the key signature affects and you know what's flat/sharp.
if by different types of scales you mean the different scale modes (all diatonic scales), then look out because the half tone and whole tone intervals are mostly in different places. As for the triads... A triad is a three-note chord which is built in 3rds...so there isn't much you can do wrong there...you have the root note...then the third (which determines if the chord is major or minor) and the fifth.
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
yes, i know how to form triads, i was just wondering if all of those would just have the notes of the scale as the root. my teacher has gone over all this stuff...just that i always forget easily, so he's going ahead and i'm trying to catch up

to help me sum it up....let's try c major. it's the first one i have to do...so all of the triads root notes would be the notes in that scale...c major. all i have to do is find all the notes that go with c major, then form triads from those notes. but how would i know if the triad is minor/major/diminished...all that stuff?

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
^ right, so here's what you do.

take the C scale

C D E F G A B C

and for each chord, instead of counting the intervals for the 3rd and 5th of the chord from its own scale, you use the notes of the C major scale. so for like E, you go

1. E,
3rd. count up to G,
5th. count up to B.

the notes in the C scale will make the chord major or minor, because they'll be different than the chord's normal scale. get it? so the chords should be

C major
D minor
E minor
F major
G major
A minor
B diminished.

I dunno if he wants you to add extensions or not, like sevenths and what not.
C-major triad would have a major third and a C-Minor triad would have a minor third :P ...so a C-Major chord would consist of C-E-G ...minor: C-Eb-G.....a dimished chord is a chord that usually has a diminished 5th in it...and usually a diminished third aswell...you don't see these chords a lot...as far as I can remember the chord's symbol usually has a circle behind it
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
ok...i think that makes sense. but how do you know that those triads are major, minor, minor, major, ect. is that just how diatonic harmonies work? are the chords always like that in that order?

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
well when you take a major scale, the chords you make from that scale will always result with the

root being major
second being minor
third being minor
fourth being major
fifth being major
sixth being minor
seventh being diminished.

so when you take each scale, even like A or E or whatever, and take each chord from that scale and build it using only the notes from that scale, it will end up being in line with that ^ pattern. The seventh will ALWAYS end up being diminished when you build it from the notes of the root scale, the fifth will always be major, etc.

for another example, let's take the G major scale.

G A B C D E F# G

and let's make the A chord from it.

A, count up from A to C, count up from A to E.

now that makes a chord with A, C and E in it. If you used the A major scale to build the A chord, you would get A, C# and E. Since A C# and E are the REAL root, third and fifth of an A major chord, the A we made from the G scale can't be a major, because it has a C instead of a C#.

so if we have a C instead of a C#, we have a flatted third, which makes a minor chord. And the A chord is the SECOND of the G major scale, so you can see that it falls in with the pattern of

root being major
second being minor
third being minor
fourth being major
fifth being major
sixth being minor
seventh being diminished
Last edited by Glen'sHeroicAct at May 28, 2008,
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
^ right, so here's what you do.

take the C scale

C D E F G A B C

and for each chord, instead of counting the intervals for the 3rd and 5th of the chord from its own scale, you use the notes of the C major scale. so for like E, you go

1. E,
3rd. count up to G,
5th. count up to B.

the notes in the C scale will make the chord major or minor, because they'll be different than the chord's normal scale. get it? so the chords should be

C major
D minor
E minor
F major
G major
A minor
B diminished.

I dunno if he wants you to add extensions or not, like sevenths and what not.

yea this looks pretty good....you wont need sevenths though since he's asking for triads....I think otherwise it would look like this:

C - Cmaj7
D - Dm7
E - Em7
F - Fmaj7
G - G7
A - Am7
B - Bm7 b5

if of course you want to build the chord (triad) for a natural scale in E (which would be E-Ionian) then you'll have to look out because the key of E major has 4 sharps in it...so the for the chord to be a E major, you'd need E - G sharp - B
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Major chord- major 3rd, minor 3rd (C major is C-E-G; C-E is a major 3rd, E-G is a minor 3rd)
Minor chord- minor 3rd, major 3rd (C minor is C-Eb-G; C-Eb is a minor 3rd, Eb-G is a major 3rd)
Diminished- minor 3rd, minor 3rd (C Diminished is C-Eb-Gb; C-Eb is a minor 3rd, Eb-Gb is a minor 3rd)

So for C major, you have
C: CEG- major
D: DFA- minor (would be major if it was F#)
E: EGB- minor (would be major if it was G#)
F: FAC- major
G: GBD- major
A: ACE- minor (would be major if it was C#)
B: BDF- diminished (would be minor if it was F#, major if it was D# and F#)
^No, I meant to do that. It's a major third from C to E, then a minor third from E to G.

Or you could think of it this way:
Major chord: major third, major 5th (C-E-G, C-E is a major 3rd, C-G is a major 5th)
Minor chord: minor third, major 5th (C-Eb-G, C-Eb is a minor 3rd, C-G is a major 5th)
Diminished chord: minor third, minor 5th (C-Eb-Gb, C-Eb is a minor 3rd, C-Gb is a minor 5th)
hey guys, thanks for all the help.

ok just to make sure i've got this down...

D major:
notes: D, E, F#, G, A, B, C#, D (octave)

chords: Dmaj, Emin, F#min, Gmaj, Amaj, Bmin, C#dim

correct?

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby