Hey guys! I've been playing my guitar for about 6 months... it's a 3 year old guitar, but I've only just picked it up and started playing again. All my strings sound fine.. and I've never snapped them.

Do I need new strings? If I did... I'd go for Ernie Ball 'Skinny Top Heavy Bottom' cause I've heard these are the ones my favourite guitarist, Matt Bellamy, uses. Is this a good idea?

My guitar's a Yamaha Pacifica... does that affect things at all?

Cheers
old strings sound ****ty. you should probably replace them monthly in good conscience, and if nothing else they're going to start sounding really awful after a few months. what brand of string you buy doesn't really make a difference. the size of the strings (measured in gauges) does though.
yes gore, unfortunately, ernie ball stopped making strings that work on any yamaha guitars, there was a huge business argument and now yamaha refuses to carry there strings. you need to get some yamaha strings
God Bless
Good rule of thumb...if you have to ask, you probably need to change them.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Aaaah.. the gauges that I've seen off Stringbusters.com are 10 13 17 30 42 52, yet Matthew Bellamy seems to have his sixth string a 60 gauge... so where would I get this string from? And what difference would it make? ( Do I really need it? )

Thanks for the quick reply
it doesent really matter what kind of strings you put on, unless your extremely picky (which i doubt you are because your playing a yamaha gutiar) the only thing you need to worry about is gagues, id suggest .10 or .09. also, guitar strings are mostly universal, the only kind of stings i can think of that are specialized are for a FLoyd Speedloader, but i doubt youd even pick them up accidentally
Quote by KURT4EVER
yes gore, unfortunately, ernie ball stopped making strings that work on any yamaha guitars, there was a huge business argument and now yamaha refuses to carry there strings. you need to get some yamaha strings

I used ernie balls on my yahama since i bought it over a year and 1/2 ago. no problems. are you sure you're not an idiot?
I've seen one million toilets...

AND I ROCKED THEM ALL!
Is it true the Ernie Ball strings won't work on my Yamaha then? If they worked on the above posters guitar...
Quote by †death_boy†
I used ernie balls on my yahama since i bought it over a year and 1/2 ago. no problems. are you sure you're not an idiot?

wow you people are stupid, ever heard of a thing called sarcasm?
Aaaah, sorry dude. Bit hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or not on an internet forum... didn't think this was a very sarcastic post anyways.
Yeah ive had my guitar stored away for a few years myself, i just started learning it yesterday and one of my strings snapped tonight Now i gotta go pick some more up tomorrow.
yes and yes. i use ernie ball strings, i love them.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

It all depends on how much you play, but I run through a pair of GHS David Gilmore 10.5 guages in a little less that a couple days.
I use Elixir Polywebs for both my electric and acoustic. They definitely last longer than the other brands of strings, however they are a bit more expensive.
Ernie balls are good. I play quite a bit and I don't usually have to replace them a lot and they still sound and look great. It really depends on how much you use it. If you play like 5 hours a day, then definitely every month. But if your like me that plays a couple hours every day or every other day, then you can get away with replacing them every few months.
Yeah, you need to change them! I change ine every two months or so. Ernie Ball Super Slinkies are good, and you can get 3 sets for about £10 off ebay!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Right... got the strings ordered off Ebay. I'm going from 9-42 gauge to 10-52... What difference will that make?
Quote by KURT4EVER

That wasn't sarcastic, just retarded.

and reported.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Grrr!!!! I've just put my new strings on with the help of my step-dad... and the high E string just snapped as I was tuning it! It doesn't seem that I had it too tight... yet I don't know if I've got enough string left to go through the machinehead!

Is there a way of like... stretching the string so it will fit back? Or have I got to buy the same pack again just for the high E-string?
Last edited by The Gore Child at Jun 2, 2008,