So I'm a fairly accomplished musician for my age. I'm 16, and can play drums quite well, good enough to be in a solid rock band. I also play piano, sing, and play guitar. Guitar is my newest venture, but with my background, it has been steady, even though I don't practice as much as I should. I've done mostly acoustic stuff, but that will soon change.

I've always wanted to be in a band, and now that I can play guitar, I'm gonna do that and sing. I have a friend who is an awesome bassist, except for slapping, which he is working on, and a drummer who is better than me. I'm definitely not the greatest at guitar, especially rock guitar.

But anyways, any tips? We are a Christian band but we don't mind practicing with clean secular music. I think to start off we are going to play some POD type stuff, rockier, a bit towards metal.
Quote by Mekchrious
So I'm a fairly accomplished musician for my age. I'm 16, and can play drums quite well, good enough to be in a solid rock band. I also play piano, sing, and play guitar. Guitar is my newest venture, but with my background, it has been steady, even though I don't practice as much as I should. I've done mostly acoustic stuff, but that will soon change.

I've always wanted to be in a band, and now that I can play guitar, I'm gonna do that and sing. I have a friend who is an awesome bassist, except for slapping, which he is working on, and a drummer who is better than me. I'm definitely not the greatest at guitar, especially rock guitar.

But anyways, any tips? We are a Christian band but we don't mind practicing with clean secular music. I think to start off we are going to play some POD type stuff, rockier, a bit towards metal.

my tip would be to play better music
Just have fun and remember to communicate with your band members, otherwise people can get mad at each other. Also try and set some goals, such as learning certain songs, or getting a gig. It's better to have something to work towards than just getting together to play with no motivation and no progress.
^Communication is key.

Start by learning a few covers. Also, keep working on your guitar playing abilities since you said you're not the greatest at guitar. Besides that have fun and good luck!

I'm a bit curious as to why you didn't want to be a drummer in a band though. Ignore yomoma21 POD are a good band.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
I'd like to drum but I'm the only one who can play guitar, sing, and play piano lol. So yeah.
I was going to say, you should sing and play piano mainly, and maybe get another guitarist who is more accomplished (no offense).
You already seem to have the right idea, learn lots of instruments. I personaly can sing, play bass, guitar, harmonica, occarina, keyboards (but not as well as I play a bass) and I can hold down a steady beat on a kit and add the odd fill.
All this means you're never stuck for a band because you have the talent to fill in almost any part that a prospective band may want from you.
As mentioned, communication is paramount, and for this reason band meetings, where you all sit and talk about the band for an hour after each practice is extremely helpfull.
I couldn't possibly comment on what type of music you should be playing because that's a purely personal choice for everyone, but here's a post I made in a thread a while ago where someone was asking about being a bandleader and what he should be doing.
I think it pretty much covers what any band, including yours, should be doing.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Keep a gig diary that as well as having your gig dates in, also has everybody's holidays or any other dates that they are definately busy on. It makes it easier to book gigs.
F'rinstance, if someone rings you up and asks you to play a gig, rather than ringing around everyone checking if everyone is available for the date, you can look in the diary and if the date is clear, book the gig then and there.

Allow an hour after each rehearsal to sit down and talk 'band business.' It's during these sit down meetings that anyone who has a date that they are going to be busy on, can put that date in the diary.
Do this religiously and the whole band should run pretty smoothly.
At these meetings, you should all have an equal say on what you want to do. (unless you're running a dictatorship)
Obviously not everyone is going to want to do the exact same things (if they do, be suspicious, that was far to easy and not natural at all between musicians ) but by voting and a bit of give and take, it should be possible to come up with a compromise between all of you.
Once you have that compromise, write it down. This is now your 'objective'
The rehearsals should now follow the objective. If anyone starts straying from the objective, they should be told that they are and the rest of the band should back up whoever has told them and say something like, 'Yeah, stop dicking about and let's just get on with what we came here to do!' then hound him until he complies.

Also, your diary should accompany you to any gigs, you never know when anyone will see you and want to give you a booking imediately. Besides, your diary, as well as having the date of gigs in it should also have how much the agreed wage for the gig was, the address of the gig, and the names and any contact numbers for the gig organisers, especialy mobile numbers, and the phone number of the venue itself.
F'rinstance, if you are on the way to a gig and your van breaks down, you have a mobile number for the organiser so you can ring the organiser and tell him what has happened and keep him posted on whether your going to be able to make it to the gig or not.
Or, if you're playing in a strange area, you have the address so it will make the venue easier to find.
Or, if someone asks you when and where they can see you again, you can look in the diary and tell them immediately.

Keep all the band's gear together because it's much easier to pick all the band's gear up in one place when you have a gig to play than to travel around everyone's houses and eventualy re-packing the van up to 4 or five times as gear is added. Stuff like that can make you late, which is obviously a big no no when you are trying to be a profesionally acting band.
Have boxes with spair leads, fuses, strings, sticks ect. in them and PLENTY of 'gaffer tape' (Gaffer tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together. Believe me, you will find LOADS of uses for this stuff ) and keep the boxes with your gear.
Boxes, whether they are metal or wooden or even plastic (but not cardboard) are better than bags, they stack up in the van and don't roll around and they keep your gear safer than bags. They're also useful for propping doors open when you're moving your gear or stacking up to place amps on. I've even known a band to have a set of boxes specialy made that as well as carrying all the bands small bits and pieces, (including the PA's multicore and microphones, mic stands and drum and cymble stands) also links together and makes quite a decent little drum riser.

Y'see, it's all about getting the band to work with maximum efficiency, once you get that happening, it makes your job as band leader a lot easier.
Quote by Baba O'Riley
^Communication is key.

Start by learning a few covers. Also, keep working on your guitar playing abilities since you said you're not the greatest at guitar. Besides that have fun and good luck!

I'm a bit curious as to why you didn't want to be a drummer in a band though. Ignore yomoma21 POD are a good band.

a way i communicate with my bandmates is email so we know what to do next time we practice & its not boring. we go work on stuff & work some more but we don't have to worry about what to do
you just witnessed the heart-stopping, door-locking, history makin, pants-droppin, earth-shakin, body quakin, lip-quivering, body-tickilin, love-makin fang
start out with covers first to get to know each other as a band and used to playing together, then maybe try writing some of your own stuff