I havent written a decent riff in a while and I want to know how you guys write your music. Does it come out of nowhere or do you do something special to get inspiration?
Mine usually come out of nowhere when i'm jamming. Other times i'll just sit down and think of a tune i have going in my head, and then play it out.
Quote by WaggyPlank
so yeah, now i have poop floating around in my ballsack.
I visit the holy shrine of Iommi, located deep within the land of Sab.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I pick whatever scale i'm in to at the moment, and try to write a riff in that key. I use chromatics a bunch, not as much as dimebag or anything, but it just adds that extra flavor that I like...Pretty cool stuff. But sometimes, just like everyone above me, you know, from just jamming.
8th member of Right-handed guitarists who are actually Left-handed group.

Quote by freedoms_stain
Although when it comes to quality Metallica take a big steaming turd on the Spice Girls faces (and you know the ginger one is loving it)...
I find a whole lot easier to create new riffs and solo licks while I'm jamming with other people. It just comes out so much better!

Don't know why, really... (and I play a lot to backing tracks, just ordinary 3 or 4 chord backing tracks)
i make something up in my head, that conveys what feeling i want, then apply it to guitar,
RiseAgainst and Winsbury are right
Ibanez RG1570
Randall RG75G3
EHX Metal Muff
1. Pick up the guitar
2. Thrash the **** out of it
3. Put it down for 5 minutes
4. Thrash the **** out of it again

*Ideas enter head*

5. Quit thrashing the **** out of the guitar and work with these ideas until they sound good and fit together structurally.