O.K so me and my band have been playing for sometime now, and have decided to start playing at a local club. However we need to have a presskit before we are allowed to play there.

So my question is whhat exactly is a press kit? and What should we include in a presskit???
From wikipedia:

A press kit, often referred to as a media kit in business environments, is a pre-packaged set of promotional materials of a person, company, or organization distributed to members of the media for promotional use. They are often distributed to announce a release or for a news conference.

Press kits are a common promotional tool used by musicians when launching a new album. Band press kits often have their own unique set of components, including:

* Band biography / History of the band
* Discography (all previous albums released by the band)
* Color photos (many corporate photos are done in black and white for newspaper print purposes)
* CD
* Contact information for the band's label, manager, publicist, or other representative
* Equipment list (if the kit is being sent to live music venue)

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
I guess stuff like the biography, discography, equipment, contact info could go on one page. Throw in the pictures and a CD and there you go.

I don't really know though, I just googled press kit.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
a presskit is a bit like a big envelope, in it is a sheet of paper with your band's biography, a list of the members (name, age and possibly how long theyvwe been playing) and the instruments they play, an explenation of your genre, a list of covers you can play (if you play covers), a list of your originals, a photo of the entire band and each individual member (in colour if possible), a demo cd with the list of your tracks, and finally a list of the bands equipment such as mics amps drumms etc... and also a contact sheet with tel. number, email, and website (if you have one)

with a presskit that has all of this i think you have a good chance of getting the venue manager's attention, also you can ask the venue to give back ur pressskit after the gig unless you plan on playing there again.

i hope this helped its a list of things i gathered on the net and from personal experience.
can someone please make a sticky on Presskits? there's always tonnes of threads on them, so clearly a lot of peeps dont know what they are exactly.
i'd do it, but i dont know enough about them to do it sorry. i could help make it happen tho. just PM me or something.