Sinec there is no keyboard section in the forums, why not post this in the Pit?

So I've been dabbling somewhat in keyboards, just playing some stuff and using the drum voice on my Yamaha (it started when I was grounded from guitar once, so I was playing the bassline to Bulls On Parade with the FIngered Bass voicing...). Lately, I've been getting interested in playing the parts that were actually played by keyboards (imagine that, right?), case in point "Come On Home" by Franz Ferdinand.

I've really been wanting to learn how to play the keyboard/synth parts right after the chorus parts ever since I heard it. However, all I can find is just what key the song is in (Am), and the chords to go along with it. If I'm completely retarded and need to arpeggiate these chords on a keyboard (if it's that simple), then I may be abl to manage. I just don't want to sit around hitting random keys hoping to find the right progression for hours...

Thanks,

-Chris
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by Chris_Parker
sit around hitting random keys hoping to find the right progression for hours

Do this.
its probly a little arpeggio of the chords but ive never heard the song and if you know the key is Am then its no sharps or flats so u got a b c d e f g a and thats it
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
I'm a bit tipsy so PM me if this doesn't make sense beacuse i do know the ansewr.

major chords are 3 notes with a gap between each one. So if you are wanting to do C major it is C-E-G

Minor chords you have a bigger gap at the end so C minor is C-E-A

A chord of Am you need to play the notes A-2notes up-3notesup.

and make them aactual notes. I had to sell my vkeyboard and i havent gone to bug a new one yet so i cant look to check but it may be sharp or flats cos it is 2 steps up not 2 white keys up.
Again, I would like to use this thread to point out that 'arpeggio' has the word 'egg' in it.

No one ever mentions this fact of life which is very upsetting indeed.
Okay, so I've got the shapes, should I just go around switching chords until I can find someone who can play this?
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Last edited by Chris_Parker at May 28, 2008,
Quote by Chris_Parker
why not post this in the Pit?

there are SO many reasons. I won't even begin to list them...

anyway yeah, white keys. if you're more comfortable on guitar(or bass), figure the chords out there, then transfer them to piano.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
there are SO many reasons. I won't even begin to list them...

anyway yeah, white keys. if you're more comfortable on guitar(or bass), figure the chords out there, then transfer them to piano.

Minors arent always 'white keys'... sharps and flats make thigns minor/.
The chords on guitar (which I guess translate to piano) are:

Am-F-C-E, which is repeated, then F-C-F-C-F-Am-F-Am-F-G

After that G, the keyboard comes in and does what I can tell is arpeggiated chords.

EDIT:

Quote by Atomic48

I love you.

Okay, this thread's done, thanks a bunch Atomic.
Quote by Pauldapro
Last edited by Chris_Parker at May 28, 2008,
if it's in Am (or iow C), then you shouldn't be using really any black keys unless it's actually an interesting piece. Something tells me it WON'T be.

just figure out the chord progression using the root note of each chord, and then you can add the other two notes in for each chord. If it's in C, don't worry about the major and minor factor, as they should still just be three keys with a space in between each key, and they'll be major/minor depending on what chord you're hitting.

you should probably just try and hit each chord on the changes at first, without worrying about learning the arpeggiation, especially if there's a right hand part. then once you're comfortable with the song, you can do the left hand work.