Page 1 of 2
Hear me out. I'm not denying he was a decent (not great imo) player, but the amount of people I see ranking him in the top 10 or even 5 of all time is ludicrous, and it got me thinking:

Is he regarded as a great player because he died?

Are his abilities overrated ala Cobain?

Discuss.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
He was a great guitarist, but I do think he got WAY too popular after his death, he was good, but he wasnt god.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I don't think he's been overrated due to his tragic death, but I do think alot of the "fans" have come about because of his death. I would say he's had much more exposure due to magazines that supported him, such as Guitar World, after he died.
im not his biggest fan but unlike hendrix dimebag didnt really get overrated when he died.
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Ye.. especially with all the fan boys putting Dimebag in front of their first name...

Oh ye...
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Harley Benton Cab (Shut up.)
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
Quote by valennic
He was a great guitarist, but I do think he got WAY too popular after his death, he was good, but he wasnt god.

This.
yes.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
definentaly! he was decent but not a genius and there are some way better players out there. he was aparently really cool and a lot people were insanley sad after his death and he just got popular from it i guess.
Quote by RatmN'Roses
im not his biggest fan but unlike hendrix dimebag didnt really get overrated when he died.

Uhh..what?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Well, I remember Dave Mustaine couldn't stand him until he died. Personally, I think he was a bloody amazing guitarist, but he wasn't a Hendrix...
prolly
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
'Nine out of ten people actually enjoy gang rape.'
Quote by guitarhero_764
nigga gt pwned lol fukin gy thks hs teh bsetest geetar playa is ghey rofllmao u scuk ckoc lololol

Yes.

Please learn proper English.
He was a good guitarist (though i personally can't stand listening to his music) and all but yes, his death definetly made him a whole lot more popular and to be viewed as a guitar god.

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I think that he was an amazing guitarist that died before his time, and many people have realized his genius after his death. That doesn't mean that they like him just because he died. I was just getting into metal around that time, and I heard them before, and thought they were really good, just to find out that he had already died. So people think that I like him just because he died, which isnt true. Also, the fact that Dean is making a killing off of the tribute models isn't really right either. I got my FBD Tribute ML from a friend for $600 cheaper than the street price ($900 and I paid $300) and it is a great guitar, but I dont think they should be making over thirty signature Dimebag guitars to profit over his death. Just my 2 cents.
Quote by CrazyPigeon
Well, I remember Dave Mustaine couldn't stand him until he died. Personally, I think he was a bloody amazing guitarist, but he wasn't a Hendrix...

he probably couldnt stand him either. Nobody can stand dave mustaine
no matter who it is, if you are decent and die early, you will become overated
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Dean exploited the hell out of his death.

Overrated? I don't think so. He was a fairly talented guitarist. A lot of attitude, which is pretty cool. Not your everyday guitarist either.
Quote by I-Watch-Anime
Fixed.

You win the UG award for Most Pedantic Edit in the history of everything.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
i think he was hailed because of his tragic death and his lovely personality, i met him in late 03 with a friend and he was the kindest guy you'd ever of met. asking if we were guitarists and just a nice guy. THAT is what he was praised for
yeah i think he is getting over rated. i mean he was a good guitar player and all but just cus he died people are kissing his ass. i mean **** i was at the dean guitar site the other day................31 different sig. models of the ml........damn!!
what i think happened is what happens to most people think are "gods" when people are cut down in their prime, they're at the top of their game, and they stay there. without time to degrade quality wise, they stay at their musical (or whatever they did) peak.

for example, i think that if someone shot michael jackson in like the 80's or something, when he was at the peak, people would be all like "omg man, M.J. RIP, he was likez da bestest pop artizt in da hole wurld!!!111" but now since he's degraded over time, people have learned he's not that great.

doesn't hurt the god image that he got shot either...as someone above said...street cred
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Quote by GnR_ROK
You win the UG award for Most Pedantic Edit in the history of everything.

I'd like to thank my mom, my dad, and all the people without sarcasm detectors! I never would have gotten here without you!
When all else fails, ask the pit.
Quote by Drrojogochu
All I have to say.

Steve Vai vs. DimeBag.

GG.

But that would be a matter of opinion...
Yet, Duane Allman was a genius, but no one remembered him.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by severed-metal
Then why'd you bring him up?

Because he fell into the shadows after his death, despite his blues genius, unlike Dime, who fell into fanboyism after his own death.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Dime was good, but everytime I hear some wanker go "rip bruhter dim3!1", I lose a little of my sanity. Honestly, I'm going to fucking lose it one of these days.

And for the record;

Dave Mustaine > Dimebag
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
I don't know if he got overrated because he died, but his death certainly brought more attention to him and Pantera. I'm not really a big fan of his music, but he was definitely a great guitar player technically.

Quote by JeanMi36
Yet, Duane Allman was a genius, but no one remembered him.

Are you serious? I think just about anybody who listens to rock has heard of The Allman Brothers Band and Duane Allman.
Last edited by RU Experienced? at May 28, 2008,
I think that he was a nice guy (which, when he was alive, was what drew a lot of attention to him, as a lot of folks of this time are stuck-up, pretentious douchebags). His popularity exploded ever since he died. He was by no means great, but he was still pretty good.

This thing I made for another thread basically sums up my feelings towards Dean guitars' "action" on Dime's death. No disrespect is made to Dime, but the blood wounds covered up a face that was very poorly done...:

I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
god i hate dimebag threads

he was good
hes somewhat overrated in some instances
cobain sucks

evil chuck = God

end thread.
My You'll be the Baddest Dude in Revere!

My Gear:
-Fender Mexican Stratocaster
-Silvertone Paul Stanley Signature Acoustic
-Fender Princeton 65w
-DOD Death Metal
Page 1 of 2