Page 1 of 2
I've been playing guitar for about a year now and i'm not sure at what skill level i'm at so i need your opinions. What songs could you guys play after a year?
I can play Spanish Castle Magic (jimi hendrix), Tornado of souls excluding the solo and other similar songs.
A penny for my thoughts?

A bargain I say!

I'll give you a dollar

Take them all away...
what makes a great guitarist? going beyond what you expect of yourself and commitment.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
yeah it doesn't really matter what skill level you're at, as long as you have fun and enjoy the music you make...
it doesn't matter how well you can play other peoples songs. practice exercises everyday for however long you think you need to.
Gear:
-Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
-Fender Twin Reverb '65 Reissue
-And all the fuzz a man needs
Yeah, we can judge you on two songs.

Well, if you just want us to judge you on just two songs than yes, you do suck.

make a video of what you can do then we can say if you are ok or need work.
trust dont worry about how good you are. Ive wasted so much time worrying about if im better than other people. you have to realize there are people better than you. but like gnomieowns said as long as your having fun and playing the music you wanna play, who cares
:stickpoke thats pretty much it
its pretty hard to flat out "suck" in general. Billy Joe Armstrong's good at punk, but put a jazz or classical, or hell metal or classic rock peice in front of him and he'll have a heart attack.
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
theres always someone better.
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
Quote by guitargod21136
its pretty hard to flat out "suck" in general. Billy Joe Armstrong's good at punk, but put a jazz or classical, or hell metal or classic rock peice in front of him and he'll have a heart attack.

That pretty much defines suxing though... (maybe not country suxing but pretty close if all you can play is punk)
Yeah, you suck. You should probably sell your gear and take up the harmonica.

/sarcasm

You seem to be doing great for one year. Got any mp3s or videos of what you can do?

IMO, anyone who keeps at the guitar for a year has potential to be great. It's a very frustrating and time consuming instrument for those who are just starting out (for most, anyway).

EDIT:
Quote by gtarnewbie
unless ur yngwie malmsteen

No. Just... no.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
ive been playing for 2 months and im already playing GNR solos
but ive been told by some pretty good guitarists that i have talent
Quote by aedmiston

Learning to read tabs and playing something on paper doesn't mean you have talent. It means you can copy another persons work. Which is not talent.
Quote by RichieKotzen
Learning to read tabs and playing something on paper doesn't mean you have talent. It means you can copy another persons work. Which is not talent.

i was referring to the fact that that took almost no effort to do
i learned dont cry(solo included) in 6 hours
Quote by RichieKotzen

This. My guitar teacher gives me this lecture all the time (even though I don't really look at tabs much- only when I REALLY want to learn something).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
This. My guitar teacher gives me this lecture all the time (even though I don't really look at tabs much- only when I REALLY want to learn something).

im self taught
so my guitar teacher doesnt give me lectures
cause i kinda dont have one
Quote by aedmiston
i was referring to the fact that that took almost no effort to do
i learned dont cry(solo included) in 6 hours

I learned how to play Shine and the solo in 30 minutes my 3rd week playing. Effortlessly, just remembered how it went and practiced it. I remembered it in probably 10-15. Remind you this was 4 years ago I was 14.
Quote by RichieKotzen
I learned how to play Shine and the solo in 30 minutes my 3rd week playing. Effortlessly, just remembered how it went and practiced it. I remembered it in probably 10-15. Remind you this was 4 years ago I was 14.

im not familiar with the song
im assuming youre talking about the collective soul song, right?
You only suck if you think you suck.

It's all about having fun. If you have fun playing the instrument, then you're doing it right.
i taught my self, i sucked at it for years, every one i knew just laughed at me cuz i sucked so bad, but i kept going and guess what .....i still suck. but i enjoy playin any way. .....i really dont suck too much any more, but the whole point of the guitar imo is, enjoyment pure selfish its all mine, relaxing make your cares go away, get in the zone, better than any drug, kind of enjoyment. so dont worry if you suck or whose better n you, or what you can play. just practice and be as good as you can get.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Quote by aedmiston

dude you hecksa slow. i coud play far beyond the sun by my first month. that was the easiest piece ever. fast forward a month, and i was sweeping all 6 strings and playing the every dream theater song. i learned al by ear too. and my equipment sucks. /sarcasm

Seriously though, just stop worrying. a year is nothing. you've got nothing to worry about. start worrying when you cant play your open chords on your second year. Paul gilbert didn't know you could do down strokes and play on the higher strings until he was well into his second year of playing. look at him now.

good luck and most important of all, have fun.
Can we judge you on the songs you can play? No.
Sure, you could play those songs, but we sure as hell don't know if you can play them cleanly and well. Videos do help though.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by aedmiston

Congratulations.

Now stop posting on threads unless you actually have something to contribute. If all you're looking for is adulation or a pat on the back for how good you think you are, go brag to your mommy.

I hate to be a dick, but I see those posts far too often, and I wonder why these kids don't just go practice the guitar instead of hijacking other people's threads for their own self-glorification.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
These threads always turn into a schoolboy pissing contest...grow up the lot of you

*reported*
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Most of the dudes don't have the maturity to listen what they play in the beginning. So they think they are kicking ass ( they are ! ) , but they are sounding like **** ( sad face ).

So believe me , you will never be as good as you think.
6 hours to learn a solo...That ages, usually takes me 1 hour to learn a song.

Oh and GnR solo's aren't really that hard or impressive TBH - Don't get me wrong i'm sure Slash inspires lots of guitarists but to me he isn't anything special.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by Naka-dude
Most of the dudes don't have the maturity to listen what they play in the beginning. So they think they are kicking ass ( they are ! ) , but they are sounding like **** ( sad face ).

So believe me , you will never be as good as you think.

That's why you record music for others to listen to.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
LOL. That's nothing. I think I can play Happy Birthday after about 10 years of playing. I'm having fun doing it though.
Just keep playing, no matter your skill level. Everytime you pickup the guitar (even for just 20 minutes a day) you get better at it, everyone learns at their own pace. You also have to keep in mind that all the now great guitarist such as Paul Gilbert and (to me) Alexi Laiho all started playing at a very young age for 7+ hours a day, its not like they were born into it
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Quote by guitargod21136

Hasn't Billie Joe been playing for like 20-30 years? I don't think he sucks... I just don't think he performs his best in the music he writes, because it's not what sells.

I don't particularly like Greenday, but I'd bet Billie Joe could probably play better than your Average Joe if he wanted to.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Dude, if you can play four chords, play them in time with a drummer and generally turn up on time and not stoned, you can join a band.

If you can also sing harmonies while playing those four chords you're a solid asset to any band.

If you can play four chords while singing a song you wrote then other musicians will want to join your band and lots of people will want to have sex with you, invite you to parties and give you drugs.

And Billy Joe Armstrong is an awesome musician, it's just that bedroom shredders think that's if it's easy to play the chords, it must be inferior, they don't realise that writing catchy lyrics and being able to sing them with decent stage presence is an art in itself, (funny how no one disses Bob Dylan for writing easy to play songs and not being able to sing)

I'd be in a band with Billy Joe over John Petrucci any day, there might actually be some girls in the audience.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Last edited by Cosimo_Zaretti at Jun 28, 2008,
@Cosimo_Zaretti :

I fail to understand what being in a band has anything to do with being a great guitarist. Sometimes it feels as if the only reason people picked up the guitar is to attract chicks.
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
See, I just started playing. I've reached sort of a block, transferring from bass to guitar I'm stuck in that inbetween. I need to figure out what lessons to get to get better. My wrecked fret hand doesn't help, I've had a lot of physical therapy and I think I want more.
Quote by lokster
@Cosimo_Zaretti :

I fail to understand what being in a band has anything to do with being a great guitarist. Sometimes it feels as if the only reason people picked up the guitar is to attract chicks.

Not always to attract chicks, but remember that the audience is interested in the songs, not your guitar solo, and playing in front of an an audience of guitar nerds is not my idea of a pumping gig.

What I was trying to get across to the threadstarter is that in 99% of band situations it's more useful to be able to play in time while singing than to be able to shred, and that very tight rhythm guitarists are a rarer breed than people realise once you start listening to a lot of underground gigs.

Seriously, I wish I'd realised this 10 years ago. Now every song I learn, I sing it as I learn the riffs, so that my singing actually guides my hands, rather than trying to split them into two seperate tasks in my brain. Where the right hand rhythm seriously differs from the vocal line, it still throws me, but I'm working on it.

If someone had told me when I was 13 "everything you do on the guitar, make sure you can sing while you do it" I'd be gigging now. Now I've got to pretty much relearn it all for my current project.

So take that advice from a 25 year old guitarist who has the connections to start his own band (I manage another one ffs) but needs to now go back and learn some tight rhythm work while singing.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Page 1 of 2