I recently bought an older Randel tube amp for metal. its a pro tube 2000, a fairly obscure, 100 watt 1x12 combo. the problem is a prior owner replaced the speaker with a 90 watt celestion black shadow, and anytime I have high gain over halfway up the speaker starts to distort. What would be a good replacement under 100$ USD with a lot of headroom, say 150 or 200 watts?
eminence Lynch Super V12 or a Texas Heat would handle it and they have great tone

i haven't seen too many tube 100w 1x12, so i've never really paid attention to what speakers can typically be found in them. maybe consider an external cab if it has outputs for em.
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
It has two 8 ohm outs, but I already have two heads and like the idea of a self contained amp.
Whats your settings at? Might be the bass side of things is set too high. If I take my randall past 7 on the bass and hit it with alot of gain it even gives my 4x12 Celestion loaded cab hell. That might be your issue.
Bass was at 4 so i dout thats the problem. I'm not a huge fan of emenince speakers, any others?
Celestion G12K-100 is a good speaker for heavy tones
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
Quote by SVStee
Bass was at 4 so i dout thats the problem. I'm not a huge fan of emenince speakers, any others?

Yup, then thats not the issue... Listed below is craziest guitar speaker i know of and if that one cant hang then there is something wrong with that amp of yours...

Craziest gutiar speaker i know of.....

EVM12L- Black Label Speaker
Size: 12"
Power Rating: 300W RMS
Frequency Response: 80-7kHz
Sensitivity: 100db
Impedance: 8 ohms
Voice Coil: 2.5" Edge-wound copper
Frame: Cast aluminum
Magnet Weight: 16 lbs.
Massive Low End
I saw that one, but its kinda pricy... like over 200$. And probly more headroom than I need. Somthing in the 150 200 watt range thats UNDER 100$ is my need.
Strange, it's not where the gain dial is set that makes a speaker distort. It's where the output/volume is set to.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Strange, it's not where the gain dial is set that makes a speaker distort. It's where the output/volume is set to.

More gain = more harmonics and more signal sent to the speaker I recon.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor
More gain = more harmonics and more signal sent to the speaker I recon.
You need volume for a speaker to naturally break up.
A speaker won't distort if the amp's volume is on 1 and the gain is on 10. At that point, all of what you're hearing is amp distortion.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by IbanezPsycho
...EVM12L- Black Label Speaker
Size: 12"
Power Rating: 300W RMS
Frequency Response: 80-7kHz
Sensitivity: 100db
Impedance: 8 ohms
Voice Coil: 2.5" Edge-wound copper
Frame: Cast aluminum
Magnet Weight: 16 lbs.
Massive Low End
/thread
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by Van Noord
You need volume for a speaker to naturally break up.
A speaker won't distort if the amp's volume is on 1 and the gain is on 10. At that point, all of what you're hearing is amp distortion.

Ofcourse but at moderate volume & high gain the speaker could break up as well (I think).
Also downtuning stresses the speakers a lot more than normal tuning.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
I was breaking up with volume on 5 and gain on seven, they both have an effect, but the volume hast to be 5 or higher before the speaker starts to sound bad. any others?

I looked at the weber but I want at minimum 125 watts... 150 for emenince, because i think they lowball the ratings.
Last edited by SVStee at May 29, 2008,
Prepare for incoming knowledge, will be edited into this post.

Gain will not make the speaker distort. End. Of. Story.

Volume will make the speaker distort IF the field induced in the speaker coil is enough to push the speaker past its physical limit.

You will need AT LEAST a 200w speaker, give it at least 250w to be safe.

Don't ask me why, look it up if you don't understand why.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Last edited by mcw00t at May 29, 2008,
Yes, volume causes the speaker to distort. I believe I said that. High gain makes the VOLUME CAUSED DISTORTION sound way worse. and when I say 150 watts i mean 150 RMS, not peak.
^ All I can say is headroom out the wazoo.

I had 4 in a Boogie MK 4x12 many moons ago. They made a very weighty cabinet even heavier, but my god were they awesome.

Compared to an unmodified recto cabinet, my sound was actually cleaner and more articulate with the EVMs. I contemplate on a near daily basis buying one for my Bandit as I truly believe they are magical
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by SVStee
Yes, volume causes the speaker to distort. I believe I said that. High gain makes the VOLUME CAUSED DISTORTION sound way worse. and when I say 150 watts i mean 150 RMS, not peak.

You don't mean RMS, but that's just me being pedantic.

And what I said still stands, you need at least a 200w speaker, probably pushing up to about 250w if you're feeling particularly cautious.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by The Atomic Ass
Jesus-H-Christ that BLS speaker must be ****ing LOUD... 100db sensitivity...
Mehh, my Celestion G12H has 100dB sensitivity and it's a 30w speaker.

And w00t, how sure are you? Playing my cranked VC30 into a G12H hasn't damaged it in even the slightest, and in the old days they used to use 4x12s with Greenbacks and later G12Hs for the original 100w heads, at a power rating of 100w or 120w respectively.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Mehh, my Celestion G12H has 100dB sensitivity and it's a 30w speaker.

And w00t, how sure are you? Playing my cranked VC30 into a G12H hasn't damaged it in even the slightest, and in the old days they used to use 4x12s with Greenbacks and later G12Hs for the original 100w heads, at a power rating of 100w or 120w respectively.

Us electronics guys like to do everything for 'the worst case scenario' so we take what the maximum possible power dissipation is going to be, add a bit then roll with it.

In this case, maximum power dissipation is continuous peak power of 200w, add a bit, et voila, you get what I recommend.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Last edited by mcw00t at Jun 1, 2008,