Well, my little 60w 1x12 Vox was holding up fine for college dorm rooms and small school gigs, but I think it's time to upgrade. Our guitarists use a Classic 50(4x10) and soon a VK100 (w/ marshall 4x12) so I need to be able to keep up. We play pop-punk and alternative rock. I like to use wah and fuzz and a kaoss pad when I'm bored, so I need something those won't fry. Budget= under $700? I'm totally willing to go used.

I'm looking at these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Backline-600Goldline-4x10-Stack?sku=486004

http://www.zzounds.com/item--HTK2500STK2

Are there any others I should look at? Obviously I'd want an Ampeg SVT3-Pro and a 4x10 or 6x10, but that's out of my budget until we get the record deal (we probably won't). So yeah, bass forum, enlighten me!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at May 28, 2008,
People will tell you you will need around 600 watts at least if they are cranking their amps. However, I don't see that happening. lol

But still, 600 watts will give you headroom. If you want to get that much volume for $700, then you won't get pro quality stuff. Actually scratch that, you might if you go used.

So here are your options.

Get a Carvin highish powered combo. Then, when you have enough money, put in another cab.

Or, get a used head of some kind and a cab. For 700, you might be able to do that.
Yeah, I was looking at Carvin as well...my guitarists don't crank their amps, or really even come close since we live in a small college town. My 60w vox has been doing just fine, and sometimes I use the drummer's ashdown mag 300/4x10 combo for bigger gigs. I haven't had any trouble keeping up with them with the 300w amp, so I figured I'd stay in that range...which Carvin amps should I look at?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, I was looking at Carvin as well...my guitarists don't crank their amps, or really even come close since we live in a small college town. My 60w vox has been doing just fine, and sometimes I use the drummer's ashdown mag 300/4x10 combo for bigger gigs. I haven't had any trouble keeping up with them with the 300w amp, so I figured I'd stay in that range...which Carvin amps should I look at?

Mainly the BR610 and BR615. It comes down to whether you like 2x10s or 1.15s.

The bad thing is that you can't try any out unless you go to California.

You could possibly get a used Markbass Little Mark and an Avatar cab for around $700. But really, you should find out what kind of tones you like. If the Ashdown is your favorite, see if you can buy it off your drummer.
Haha well, I sold it to my drummer. Sooo that kinda rules that out. I found some awesome used bass stuff at my local store, so I might just wait til I have the money then go get some stuff there. They have a Carvin 2x10 (maybe 2x15) for $275 and they have a HUGE selection of heads, including some used Hartkes.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
Haha well, I sold it to my drummer. Sooo that kinda rules that out. I found some awesome used bass stuff at my local store, so I might just wait til I have the money then go get some stuff there. They have a Carvin 2x10 (maybe 2x15) for $275 and they have a HUGE selection of heads, including some used Hartkes.

Alright, just go try out all the stuff you can. Is the Carvin a Redline? Meaning are the speakers red? If so, be wary, as that line was apparently not Carvin's best stuff ever.

Once you get a specific amp or company, come ask again.