my band has started to record some of our own material.
the song is good however the recordings are awful.
we are sooooo much better live.
if you record your own stuff and can make it sound good plz tell me how you do it.
and also this might be one of our problems..are drum mics neccesary and if so how many should we get?
Originally Posted by InvaderTSN
Step 1: Buy popcorn.
Step 2: Cut hole in bottom of popcorn bucket.
Step 3: Stick penis through hole.
Step 4: Ask date to get some popcorn.
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!
i bought some cubase LE 4 software for recording, its got pretty good quality and you can master the tracks and its only like $150. We just use one mic for the drums, and just record each part, snare, highhat, etc... Its really long a boring doing that. Our drummer for some reason wants to do it like that, but if you can try recording the drums all in one track do that.
the thing is we dont record through a computer we record through a system. it cost my lead singer 600 bucks. does that matter?? and does the recording drums on seperate tracks sound good? also my guitar teacher told me when he records he records the guitar numerous times to make it sound "thicker and fuller". is that a good idea??
Originally Posted by InvaderTSN
Step 1: Buy popcorn.
Step 2: Cut hole in bottom of popcorn bucket.
Step 3: Stick penis through hole.
Step 4: Ask date to get some popcorn.
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!
Quote by papagorilla101
the thing is we dont record through a computer we record through a system. it cost my lead singer 600 bucks. does that matter?? and does the recording drums on seperate tracks sound good? also my guitar teacher told me when he records he records the guitar numerous times to make it sound "thicker and fuller". is that a good idea??

Well, pretty much all recordings you hear from famous bands have the guitars recorded numerous times etc. and vocals, whatever. Usually each drum/cymbal has a mic, I believe. But that'd be far to expensive probably. From what I've heard Cubase is a good recording software whatsamajig. But tbh I don't know a whole lot on the subject.
Don't record the same guitar part more than once. It's okay to record it twice and pan one track left and the other right, but besides that, don't do it. It doesn't sound fuller, just muddy and the tracks start to cancel each other out. To make it fuller try messing with the EQ and adding effects like reverb.

But it's okay to have different parts layered - one guitar doing power chords, one doing open chords, etc. Lots of vocal harmonies are good too.