Page 1 of 2
Okay, so I have so extremely nice curly Spanish cedar, and a bunch of rosewood, birdseye maple, mahogany etc. What I am planning on doing for my next electric guitar project is making a curly spanish cedar topped les paul with a birdseye maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. I will be making two of these, one for someone I know and one for whoever pays the most for it (maybe three partly because I want a les paul style guitar, and partly because the curly Spanish cedar is insane.) Nothing is final though, I may decide to only build one I don't know.

Currently, though some rough specs are; Spanish cedar top poplar or ash body. Birdseye maple or Curly maple maple neck. Rosewood fingerboard. Spanish Cedar peghead overlay. Custom inlays. HH pickups. 2 volume 2 tone 1 3way. handwound pickups. natural finish. satin chrome hardware. b/w/b binding. carved top.

I hope these work out, and I cant wait to start posting some pics up tomorrow or this weekend.

-Carousel
I'm doing set neck for these. Bolt on wouldn't fit with this design. I'm definitely not gloss finishing these bodies. Maybe just some oil real smooth and clean. God, I'm so excited for these, just picturing them in my head is making me excited to start building.
^ alright LP tomorrow around noon or so I'll post you some pics. It's up in my wood rack now, I can't get it now because of the wood racks location(in my garage above a car.).
yea, the garage is attached in the house, but its pretty late and I don't feel like going down their and digging through the pile. I'm in PA so the weather isn't too intense anyway. I was thinking about storing some of my wood in the shed (I have an overload of wood now.)

spanish cedar sounds nice. now I have to go find a pic to quell my curiosity.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
Here it is! the boards are just rough sawn straight from the lumber yard. their are NO knots, the and the curl runs all the way through. these pictures don't really do it justice.

not sure at all Id have to do some measuring maybe like 15 to 20

EDIT: 14 or 15
Last edited by carousel182 at May 29, 2008,
Yea it's gonna be pretty nice I hope. I'm pretty sure That I'm gonna use ash for the back now. I'm also pretty sure that I'm going to be using Walnut/Maple/Walnut/Maple binding around the body. I wonder If their will be any wood for a one piece ash back at the lumber yard, If not I will definitely settle for a two piece back(I was originally planning one anyway.) For hardware I am going to have to hunt down some satin chrome parts. I don't want this to be a shiny guitar at all. I want it to seem faded and comfortable, something that will feel good to pick up and play.
This is about as much progress as I've made (I don't have any ash and mahogany, walnut, poplar, more spanish cedar, maple, rosewood, or zebrawood are not what I had in mind.) I should be making a run to the lumber yard this weekend to pick up some nice ash. tomorrow I'll work on designing my neck. and possibly cleaning up some of this nice curly maple I have and getting a fingerboard slotted and inlayed (probably not inlayed, I'm going to go with block inlays I think but I also think that it would be a little too much pearl for this.)

Wow...this is going to be pretty great.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
I have no idea. The guy at the lumber yard sets aside highly figured woods usually. He said these were the only spanish cedar boards hes seen like this. It was a bargain at around 6.50 a board foot. I did a quick google search for curly spanish cedar but nothing nearly as figured as mine came up. I think I just got lucky.
aha, I'm gonna get back to work on this shortly. Instead of ash there is a chance I will use curly maple for the back. I have some really nice 8/4 curly maple that I could glue up for a 2 piece back. and I could use that same maple for a neck if the ash doesn't work out..
alright, I'm finally home from vacation and I might start working on this again. Only problem is that I'm back on vacation in less than a week . I'll post some pics up when I make progress.
Do birdseye maple fretboards. You know you want to.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
I'm not 100% sure on what I'm gonna do yet, I wanna do some wood work today though, so I'm gonna make some fretboards birdseye with rosewood inlays, not quite sure on what design though.
Quote by carousel182
I'm not 100% sure on what I'm gonna do yet, I wanna do some wood work today though, so I'm gonna make some fretboards birdseye with rosewood inlays, not quite sure on what design though.

Rosewood inlays wouldn't look too good with the maple board IMO, but it's your build.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
I'm not using the birdseye boards for this build, I'm just keeping them for stock. I'm gonna be using rosewood.
That wood is hot. I have never seen such nice Flame Maple.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

It's actually not maple, it's Spanish Cedar which is easily mistaken for mahogany by most people. A while ago, my dad was making a big carved fancy desk for his office, he spent a long time carving the ball and claw feet and he didn't even notice that one of his legs was actually spanish cedar until he could smell it.
I atleast got something done today, I drew up the plans for my neck, The neck will be curly maple, one piece, no scarf. It'll have a spanish cedar headplate on it. and a rosewood truss cover.

I atleast got something done today, I drew up the plans for my neck, The neck will be curly maple, one piece, no scarf. It'll have a spanish cedar headplate on it. and a rosewood truss cover.

I got some templates done for the neck and I got the neck blank glued up. when its done it will have a back headstock plate and a front headstock plate made of spanish cedar. Here are some pics. Just putting this out there for anyone who may be interested I may be selling this when finished for around 550-700$ closer to 700$ depending on parts.

Last edited by carousel182 at Jun 30, 2008,
i wish you scarfed that. that right there is a really bad way to make an angled headstock, ask me how i knowww. dont ever drop that guitar, haha. dont even hit it on a table, when turning around while its strapped, slowly when someone calls your name...

buh bam, broken headstock.

=[
I've scarfed a few times before, I think this is a fine way of doing it, I see this done pretty often with acoustics so I don't think it'll be a problem at all, especially with the front and back straps.
is it hard maple? or a really hard wood? the problem is that end-grain is really weak, and the whole headstock of that will have the pressure on the end grain, at an angle. the neck i made it out of was soft Silver maple though, gets curly like a bitch, but if you dont laminate it 2 or 3 times it isnt very strong.
I think it should be alright, but I may scarf it now just to be safe anyway. In my kinkaid acoustic book he does the joint like this, and he's been doing it for many years, so I think its pretty safe. It has a 13 degree headstock angle as well which makes it a pretty large gluing surface.

ohspyro89:I made the neck templates myself but got the headstock templates off of mimf I also got the body templates off of mimf.
Last edited by carousel182 at Jun 30, 2008,
yeah, it should be good, just make sure its some hard-ass maple or else it could bend/twist from the uneven pressure. ill never make an angled neck out of soft maple again, fender style has done very well though.
yea, the maple is pretty tough stuff, ill be putting some carbon fiber reinforcements in it anyway though.
Page 1 of 2