Would this be a good amp? It has a great price tag, and it comes with built in effects. I was looking for a tube, but this is a SS. But it looks like you get a lot of bang for your buck with this one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-III-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103944799-i1168995.gc
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
You should look that one up in the search bar. You'll find loads of rave reviews.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I'd say without hesitiation that a cube 30x is a better amp for you(and in general).
so thats a yes? this is a good amp? And I looked at that Roland, and while the recording is a plus, I don't know, the Line 6 has built in effects.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Okay. cool. Thanks, I think I'll go for the Roland.

Can someone give me a guess as to the size of the thing?

Quote by John Frusciante
Oh, and I'm not looking for JUST a personal practice amp, I'm looking for a band practice and amateur recording, and maybe light gigging amp.

Quote by John Frusciante
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at May 28, 2008,
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Oh, and I'm not looking for JUST a personal practice amp, I'm looking for a band practice and amateur recording, and maybe light gigging amp.

I was expecting a sea of flames.
For your referance, the Spiders are HORRIBLE for all those purposes.

For your needs, your going to want to go tube. Do you have a budget?
I was hoping in the $300's.

I was looking at a second hand Peavey Classic 30, but I think I'm sold on the Roland Cube 30x

Quote by John Frusciante
Look at craigslist, ebay, and musicgoround.com for the Peavey Ultra 112. Its a good versatile rock/metal amp that runs in the $300's.

When you're first looking at amps, one with a lot of effects and amp models can look attractive. However, as your playing and ear for tone matures, you quickly learn that they just can't hold a candle to a real tube amp. Not to sound snobby, it's just I had to learn (spend) the hard way. Although, the Roland's do sound pretty good.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
Quote by Spartan070sarge
I was hoping in the $300's.

I was looking at a second hand Peavey Classic 30, but I think I'm sold on the Roland Cube 30x

The Peavey Classic 30 is a big boy amp, while the Cube 30x is a little practice amp.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
The Peavey Classic 30 is a big boy amp, while the Cube 30x is a little practice amp.

Not just a big boy amp, the C30 is a hard rockin' MAN's amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by RIP Back in Red
I'm a huge fan of Line 6's, but for a practice amp, NO!!!!!!!!

The Spider III 15 watter is actually a pretty decent practice amp for a beginner because it has a lot of bells and whistles. Buying a Spider that isn't the 15 watter is a bad idea though.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
A cheap 15 watt spider as a practice amp to noodle around on and not need to hook up a bunch of pedals is not to bad. But for any other use they are junk. The effects arent that great, the amps are unreliable, sound terrible, and have really bad resale value.