How dangerous is it if the bottle says 30% concentrated hydrochloric acid? I just got a job doing pool chemicals for private pools and we use this stuff for adjusting ph levels and to clean deposits and algae from empty pools. I took chem in college but everything is in molarity there so its hard to tell. I do know that above 1 Molar concentration we used gloves. And i know at a certain concentration the FUMES from hydrochloric acid will corrode metal. I'm bringing gloves to work and using my lab goggles when putting it in from now on, but the Mexican guys i work with treat it likes its friggin dish soap. We also use pretty heavily concentrated chlorine too (15 gallons will chlorinate a 10,000 gallon pool). Anyone know anything about this? I'm asking for the MSDS (material safety data sheet- tells you everything about the hazards of a chemical) but i'm looking for a bit more scientific reference for it.
Last edited by DaveGilmour1189 at May 28, 2008,
30% isn't too dangerous. I once washed my hands with 18 molar HCl. Now THAT was interesting. Let's just say that the HCl was significantly safer than what I was getting off my hands...
...shun the nonbeliever...
Haha I remember in my chemistry class we were doing an experiment with HCL, first thing my teacher said was "Don't spill it, on pain of death"... Well, I kind of "spilled it" on my shirt, didn't think anything of it, a few days later I go to put on that same shirt, there was a massive hole in the middle of it.
you can figure out the molarity if its 30% use that to find the volume and then moles and so on...

id say its probably pretty concentrated
okay wikipedia is my friend. Above 20% is according to the EPA a corrosive and toxic substance. I'm bringing my lab goggles and gloves tomorrow. It also recommends breathing masks but since its outside i think i can get away with that one. I'm just worried about my co-workers. I work with a bunch of mexican guys who i'm positive don't have the education for this sort of thing. They're pretty liberal in their use of this stuff. Not to mention if you accidentally mix the stuff with the liquid chlorinate we use you pretty much make the same stuff they used to gas people in Auschwitz with or use in the trenches in WWI.

I found some info on it and I'm encouraged that the long term effects of using this stuff is minimal (it corrodes through stuff so quickly it never stays in any system for long).
Last edited by DaveGilmour1189 at May 28, 2008,
My friend and I used to have "taste tests" in chemistry class. HCl was by far the best tasting one.