So I've had a Big Muff(American) for a long time, but I could never use it because when I did, anything I played was COMPLETELY drowned out by fuzz. Now, I know it's a fuzz pedal and all, but I've seen videos of people getting the fuzz at reasonable levels.

Are all American Muff's like this? Should I go for the Russian?

I just need some clarity here (no pun intended)
Quote by Jminnich500
yea last week me and my freind kyle were in the bathroom at school and this kid was takin a **** so we decided to make a piss arch over the stall and onto his face...it was priceless
I wish I had your problem!

But seriously, is overdrive or distortion already in the signal before you engage the fuzz?

What's the signal like before the fuzz?

Are there any other effects and what order are they in?
My girlfriend's muff always suffocates me.

Ha. Just kidding.
I don't have a girlfriend.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by carpepax
I wish I had your problem!

But seriously, is overdrive or distortion already in the signal before you engage the fuzz?

What's the signal like before the fuzz?

Are there any other effects and what order are they in?

The thing is, I've tried every combination of knobs and it's always a crappy sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F2QiYrOsVw

That's the sound I want. I guess I should look into a Russian muff.
Quote by Jminnich500
yea last week me and my freind kyle were in the bathroom at school and this kid was takin a **** so we decided to make a piss arch over the stall and onto his face...it was priceless
I get smothered by a muff every other day.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Well, lowering the volume isn't going to do it. lowering the sustain control helps a little, but the Big Muff doesn't have a lot of mids, and this is probably why the fuzzy sound is drowning out the clarity. Try boosting the mids, either with your amps EQ or with a graphic EQ pedal.

I think the russian big muff is a harsher fuzz, so that wouldn't really be the solution.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
What amp are you plugging it into? What channel is it on? How are you EQ'ing everything?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
What amp are you plugging it into? What channel is it on? How are you EQ'ing everything?

Yeah, what guitar are you using aswell (pickups could be important here)?

Just checked your profile and it says you play bass, i'm not sure but could this be the problem?
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
uh...I think that its SUPPOSED to do that....how high are the volume and sustain controls?
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
use a GREEN russian, they're replicas of the originals, whereas the american reissues have a much worse sound. If pushed, try a little big muff.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
It doesn't matter how I EQ it. I've tried any combination and it still is just a bad sound. I posted a link to a video of a Russian Muff which gives a really good sound. The link is somewhere above.

On a related note, I'm trying to get a Cliff Burton/ Troy Sanders kind of sound. Fuzzy but with clarity.
Quote by Jminnich500