Hi everyone. I just wanted to know if it was possible to take my old Kustom Dart 10 amp and mod it into a hybrid amp. I was thinking about having the tube cricket (http://olcircuits.com/olc_tubecricket.html) replace the electronics of the dart 10 and keep the old speaker/enclosure intact. Is this possible? I would be doing a lot of reading/research on electronics before i started any mods(I'm very much a beginner at this sort of thing). I just want to know beforehand if it is even feasible. Thanks for the help.
i highly doubt it. but Kustom makes a fairly nice hybrid such as the one in my sig for a very reasonable price. in fact i think i saw it on musicianfriend for about 100 bucks today.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
solid state amps are a nightmare to work on. if you want to blow some money and learn a new thing to do, you might as well try it... after all its only cash, so **** it. go for it, document it on here, let us all learn.
I might have asked my question in the wrong way. I mean is it possible to just have the tube cricket and use the speaker/enclosure to make a combo amp? None of the dart 10 electronics would be used, minus the speaker. I dont want to mod the SS circuit, so much as I want to replace it with the tube cricket, or another 1/2 watt tube design. I said hybrid in the first post because i was under the impression that the tube cricket was a hybrid amp itself.
Quote by Nodak Guitar
I might have asked my question in the wrong way. I mean is it possible to just have the tube cricket and use the speaker/enclosure to make a combo amp? None of the dart 10 electronics would be used, minus the speaker. I dont want to mod the SS circuit, so much as I want to replace it with the tube cricket, or another 1/2 watt tube design. I said hybrid in the first post because i was under the impression that the tube cricket was a hybrid amp itself.

oh, ya that'd probably work. just disconnect the speaker wires from the circuit board and you would probably have to change the faceplate so that the controls will work.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
How dangerous is it to do something like this? After some research it looks like there is the risk of shock when working with these tube amp designs. How much risk would be involved with the tube cricket? All Ive done before is mod my crybaby wah.

And would this plan actually be a step up from the dart 10 as it is now? I wouldnt want to do all of that work and find out that it doesnt really sound much better than it did before.
well, just make sure you use static mats, etc. and ya, tube would definitely sound better than the original SS. just be careful with it and have fun.

PS. you might also look into changing the speaker. if it's 8 inch, the Celestion 8 inch is quite nice.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
i believe it is an 8 inch speaker so that would be pretty cool to do later on too. Thanks for the help. Ill be sure to make a thread about the project whenever I'm able to get on it. It probably wont be until the start of the fall semester (Im at a crunch for money right now).
The Kustom Dart is an ok platform to modify. It sounds ok being driven with a standard 6BQ5. Looks to me like the circuit is powered by 12VDC. This would only be dangerous to you if your skin resistance is less than 400 ohms. Go for it and see (hear) what you get. The speaker isn't the greatest, but it's not the worst, either. I like the construction and finish of the cabinet. I've played with a couple of these amps and don't hate them. They sound pretty good being driven by a tube output stage. There isn't much difference between SS and tube preamplification. Both can sound good, both can sound terrible. The real difference is in the implementation of the circuits. Experimenting with low voltage circuits is relatively safe. If you decide to experiment with standard tube-circuit voltages, I'd be careful.
thanks for the heads up. Are there any other 1/2-1 watt designs to look at besides the tube cricket? Any that sound better?
Quote by Nodak Guitar
thanks for the heads up. Are there any other 1/2-1 watt designs to look at besides the tube cricket? Any that sound better?

you could buy the parts for one of the amp kits on www.ax84.com and build one of those ones then just use the Kustom as the enclosure and speaker. then do a customized faceplate for it.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A