i'm not sure but that's sick
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
For some reason i knew it was going to be guthrie govan, you should buy his album erotic cakes.

any way from what i know the dorian mode is good for jazz, and also playing chromaticaly works well, and play a semi tone below or above the root note. just experiment as well.

if you like those songs you should check our "Lost without You" by John Petrucci. even if you dont like him you should check it out.
Please check out my band!
Influences are Dream Theater, Opeth, Vai. That sorta stuff! We have a sweet guitarist whose only 18

www.myspace.com/playfieldband
sweet, yeah its all weird jazz stuff. its just hard to improvise that complex stuff without scales you know? so, any other guesses or suggestions?
transcribe his stuff, and take traditional jazz guitar lessons.
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
I don't have the best ears but I'm pretty sure there was a good blend of pentatonics, chromatics, whole tones and key changes to keep it lively and give it the feel it does. Oh, and the excellent phrasing...
Quote by BluesShredUK
I think he's using the melodic minor scale quite a bit too...

Yes! That's the other one I was thinking of, too. Just couldn't think of where I'd heard it before.
Seeing as how it's Guthrie the scale he's using in any given second is entirely up in the air; learn all the scales you can then learn what kind of chords they work over then learn how to use chromatic and passing tones then you should be some of the way to getting that jazzy sound.

There is no shortcut to the kind of jazz and general musical mastery that Guthrie has.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by None_More_Black
alright, if you guys don't know what i'm talking about, it's those weird jazz/easy listening(?) scales that shredders play. they sound AMAZING and i'm just wondering if anyone knows what they are. explain if you can.

Coupla' Links:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-yPEewaalik&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bUZK9dasP8s&feature=related

Thanks

That's just a bunch of different scales that don't have conflicting notes. He is just soloing over a base so he doesn't have to worry about conflict that much because it's just one note.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Seeing as how it's Guthrie the scale he's using in any given second is entirely up in the air; learn all the scales you can then learn what kind of chords they work over then learn how to use chromatic and passing tones then you should be some of the way to getting that jazzy sound.

There is no shortcut to the kind of jazz and general musical mastery that Guthrie has.

Is there any way to get to Guthrie mastery?
Quote by Freepower
Is there any way to get to Guthrie mastery?

Aside from being Mr. Govan I don't think so
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.