I'm looking for a double humbucker guitar for classic rock, indie, blues-rock, some punk. Right now I have a fender standard strat and I'm looking for an LP-type for up to $500 dollars.

I also have an Ibanez GAX75, and I love the neck, it's so comfortable to play, so I'm looking for another Ibanez guitar.

Any recommendations? I know a lot of Ibanez's are metal, but I've been looking at the ARX/ARC series, and the SZ series too. Would those be good for my style?
Quote by Underjoggle
Artist series seem pretty well-suited for you.

agreed, if you're into Ibanez, thats the right line for your style
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
yeah, I'm thinking about getting one of the ARX models, seems like it's a good LP-type by Ibanez, especially for classic rock. To people who tried it, would it be better than an Epiphone LP standard?

I haven't got the chance to get to a guitar store yet.

I started to research the S series, but what type of guitar are they best for? hard rock?
If you're looking to play those genres, I think an LP style guitar would suit you better than an Ibanez.
Quote by FireandFlames
If you're looking to play those genres, I think an LP style guitar would suit you better than an Ibanez.

That's what I'm looking for, but I don't like the heavy weight of some LP-type guitars.
I heard Ibanez LP-style guitars are lighter
My friend plays in a successful bar cover band that does classic rock, 90s, 80s stuff like van halen and poison and even rap covers. He plays a hardtail ibanez prestige RG and it does the trick wonderfully. He has a SD pickup in the bridge and a stock neck PU. As long as you can play the guitar well it will deliver. Getting the tones with that guitar will be based more on your amp than anything because he gets any kind of sound he wants out of his RG by using a peavey XXX and a bunch of different pedals.
Quote by FireandFlames

Never seen an Artist, have you? Not all Ibanez' are for metal.

I agree on the Artist, specifically the AR model. An AR300 or an AR305 would suit you to the tee. When they pop up on ebay used, they usually go for under $500 and are a better built guitar than the ARX's and ART's.
I would recommend you a Schecter C-1 Plus, it's the "Paul" of the C-1 line. But it's not Ibanez...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

that Michael Kelly Patriot looks really nice, I'm going to look into these guitars and find out more. It seems like it's a good deal, maybe better than the Ibanez ARX. I'll see if I can research some more, and actually get to test some out. thanks
i've got a 12/6 double neck ibanez. i can strongly strongly strongly recommend that. its a thing of beauty.
Artcore series?
Quote by imgooley
Artcore series?

Would an artcore be good for overdriven rock? I like the idea of the semi-hollow, but most of the reviews I've seen are by jazz players. I don't want a jazz guitar, but I want a semi-hollow for classic rock, that would still give me a good crunch. Would an artcore work?
I'd think it would depend on what kind of tone you want, and which pickups you'd be willing to switch in and a whole mess of other things.

Alvin Lee and Clapton both swore by their 335s.

The most heavily distorted (semi)hollow tones I can think of are George Thorogood and Jack White.

Chuck Berry uses a semi hollow, but his tone isn't as distorted
Last edited by Sir Anonymous at Jul 21, 2008,
Ted Nugent used hollow bodies in his early days.
Guitars:
Agile AL 3000
Alvarez AD60SC
Ibanez GRX20
Squire Standard Strat

Amp:
Peavey Valveking 2x12

Effects:
Digitech Grunge
Behringer Tube Overdrive TO800
Digitech GNX3

i thought losing my virginity would be better than that
The Jet King is good.
I've got a JTK2 that does anything.
Your best bet would be a JTK4, unless you can find a used JTK1 or 2.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
RG550, and you won't need another guitar LOL
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by Jason43
Never seen an Artist, have you? Not all Ibanez' are for metal.

I agree on the Artist, specifically the AR model. An AR300 or an AR305 would suit you to the tee. When they pop up on ebay used, they usually go for under $500 and are a better built guitar than the ARX's and ART's.

I agree with this gentleman.

The Ibanez Singlecut guitars are not built, from what I have played of them, to the same standard as the Artist guitars, which usually sound and play pretty well. The Ibanez LP style guitar seems to play really cheaply and has a really light, almost hollow feeling fingerboard. I don't recommend it.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
I'm Quite surprised nobody has recommended Agile over at Rondomusic.com yet.
Epiphone's would be good as well.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I'm Quite surprised nobody has recommended Agile over at Rondomusic.com yet.
Epiphone's would be good as well.

Probably because he said he already likes the feel of Ibanez and would like another.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by Dudage
Probably because he said he already likes the feel of Ibanez and would like another.

That's right. I'm planning on getting an Agile, but would also like an Ibanez.
Quote by M Power
My friend plays in a successful bar cover band that does classic rock, 90s, 80s stuff like van halen and poison and even rap covers. He plays a hardtail ibanez prestige RG and it does the trick wonderfully. He has a SD pickup in the bridge and a stock neck PU. As long as you can play the guitar well it will deliver. Getting the tones with that guitar will be based more on your amp than anything because he gets any kind of sound he wants out of his RG by using a peavey XXX and a bunch of different pedals.

+1, the amp and effect chain is responsible for so much of the tone and it seems like half this forum is guilty of seeing a LP and thinking rock and seeing superstrat and thinking metal.
what are you tlaking about? I am a noob please dont confuse me with big words liek that.
Artcore semi hollows sound incredible for overdriven rock. Not distorted but overdriven. If you have a decent tube or modeling amp you will love an artcore. However if you have a so-so SS amp with heavier distortion I'd steer away.
Quote by Underjoggle
The Jet King is good.
I've got a JTK2 that does anything.
Your best bet would be a JTK4, unless you can find a used JTK1 or 2.

yeah, i have a JTK2, its very versatile, and a great rock guitar.

i actually laughed at the JTK3 and 4 when i saw them first... they are like.. the JTK2, split into 2 different models...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I have an Ibanez SZ720, which I use for classic rock and some heavier stuff too. I've had the guitar for a couple of years and it hasn't let me down. The pups are Ibanez/Duncan rather than the genuine Duncans - to be honest it's good enough for me. Very playable & reliable.
Quote by godofshred
paul gilbert had used the ibanez pm model in the past..studio and very few gigs.

The PGM model isn't Semi Hollow, the F- holes are painted on.
The semi-hollow Artcores would also suite you. Semis are perfectly fine for rock to light metal.
thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably go with an artcore semi-hollow, like the AS73.

And if I have money next year, I'll get the jetking also.