Okay so, I got this drum set a while ago:

http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-PACEZKT0105

and I'm actually starting to get decent at drums (I've been playing for about a year and a half now and the only drummers I listen to and try to learn from are john bonham and keith moon).

The problem is, whenever I see any drummer playing on their drumset, their snares are really low, almost the same height as their laps while they are sitting on their drum throne (sometimes a tiny bit higher)

My snare is very high, almost to my biceps/shoulder area. This makes it VERY hard to play anything fast on the snare. The stand it is on (the one that came with the set) is also set to its lowest point. What's going on here? I am using a regular chair instead of a special chair made for drumming, so could this be the problem?
Bean bag chairs do NOT work.

And eat your green vegetables.
Quote by redneckrebel
Wow...just wow

A clapstack? My life is complete.
Quote by ilikeguitar90
I am using a regular chair instead of a special chair made for drumming, so could this be the problem?

Yes.
Solutions:
-Get an adjustable drum throne
-Tilt the snare so it's facing you more than currently
-Put padding on your current seat

Or, depending on how you've set up the 3 legs that hold up the stand, you may be able to adjust those so they spread wider. Maybe. How tall are you?
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
I played the drum sets at my local guitar center before and the drum thrones seem even shorter than the chair I use at home...

I will buy one and see if it fixes the problem. thanks for the help guys

EDIT: i'm 5'6", and I made the snare's 3 legs the widest they can possibly get.
Get a drum throne

Something is obviously wrong

Also, you need to be drumming for longer if you think a normal chair is alright.
Haha, my friend got that same kit about five years ago, and it doesn't even look similar anymore.

But you should probably listen to more drummers than Bonham and Moon...
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Last edited by ratmblink123 at May 29, 2008,
Quote by stringmagician
Get a drum throne

Something is obviously wrong

Also, you need to be drumming for longer if you think a normal chair is alright.

Umm....you get used to it when you've been playing it for about one and a half years and have pretty much never sat on a drum throne except for maybe 1 or 2 times in your entire life....seriously, I've learned to play using just a normal chair. don't attack my drumming skills due to my equipment. I've been playing drums for about 2-3 hours a day and really enjoy it, and just because I don't have an actual drum throne doesn't make me any worse of a drummer, buddy

to ratmblink: haha yeah you're right, but I just like their drumming styles so much. I've tried listeing to other greats such as neil peart and buddy rich. I did not like neil peart's drumming so much (but i'm not implying he's a bad drummer) and buddy rich is just too fast to play along with for me right now. I forgo to mention that I really enjoy ringo starr's drumming as well.
Last edited by ilikeguitar90 at May 29, 2008,
Quote by ilikeguitar90
Umm....you get used to it when you've been playing it for about one and a half years and have pretty much never sat on a drum throne except for maybe 1 or 2 times in your entire life....seriously, I've learned to play using just a normal chair. don't attack my drumming skills due to my equipment. I've been playing drums for about 2-3 hours a day and really enjoy it, and just because I don't have an actual drum throne doesn't make me any worse of a drummer, buddy

Well, actually, it kinda does. Assuming you're sitting as far back in the chair as possible, that's going to affect your pedal foot speed. And, if you're on the edge, you could slip and fall. Also, a drum throne offers more support when you're body is twisting to play around the set. And thrones are a lot more comfortable when playing. This is because you will bounce as you play, and a solid chair will rack your back. A padded seat, or a throne, absorbs those motions, making you quicker, and more comfortable.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
Quote by ilikeguitar90
I don't have an actual drum throne doesn't make me any worse of a drummer, buddy

On the contrary, if you keep up the drumming you'll eventually learn that you can play easier on a throne, actually making you a better drummer.

It doesn't mean you're worse, but you'll be better on proper set up.
Quote by konkordmusk
Well, actually, it kinda does. Assuming you're sitting as far back in the chair as possible, that's going to affect your pedal foot speed. And, if you're on the edge, you could slip and fall. Also, a drum throne offers more support when you're body is twisting to play around the set. And thrones are a lot more comfortable when playing. This is because you will bounce as you play, and a solid chair will rack your back. A padded seat, or a throne, absorbs those motions, making you quicker, and more comfortable.

hmm...touche....I do sit on the edge BTW, and the chair is pretty close to the drum set. I've gotten pretty good with the bass pedal (not necessarily fast, just good. I have learned zeppelin songs such as "poor tom", "fool in the rain's main drum beat (mess up sometimes though) and "achilles last stand" (I play the bass triplets as just doubles during the verses, and I can't do the very difficult fills...) I've got "good times bad times" down too but I can't get the triplets part.

stringmusician: sorry man, i took what you said way too offensively. no hard feelings on my side. sorry about that.
Last edited by ilikeguitar90 at May 29, 2008,
Quote by ilikeguitar90

stringmusician: sorry man, i took what you said way too offensively. no hard feelings on my side. sorry about that.

No problem my friend

We've all got to defend ourselves sometimes