anyone use this for shielding in guitars/other electronics? hows it work? how does it compare to copper?
fight the power that be
Conductive paint works alright, but the good stuff is very expensive. Also, make sure the coats are thick.

Copper will do the same thing, but much cheaper.
And aluminum foil will too, for even cheaper than that! Also, it is simpler.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
The paint can be a pain to use. You have to put a coat on and let it sit to dry. And it takes several coats. It does work and works well for irregular shaped stuff. The tape is faster as you dont need to wait for it to dry. But isnt cheap and neither is the conductive paint. Aluminum foil is really cheap but the houshold stuff is way to thin to do much good. There is some thicker aluminum stuff, used in duct work I think, that might do ok. I bought a copper tape kit from stew mac and its done 10 guitars used the last of lastnight.
While we're on the subject, what does conductive paint/copper tape/foil protect the electronics from, exactly?
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
interference and can help take away some off the buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz i do beilive
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Think of all the electronic stuff in your house and all of it emits electromagnetic interference of some kind some more than others. And guitars pick it all up without shielding. All the wiring and the pickups themselves just suck it up. The shielding provides a path to ground, instead of the wiring sending it to your amp.
Oh, so if I put protection on, that means when I'm playing guitar and watching TV I won't have to worry about the remote making beeping noises through my amp?
Cool.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Tackleberry
Think of all the electronic stuff in your house and all of it emits electromagnetic interference of some kind some more than others. And guitars pick it all up without shielding. All the wiring and the pickups themselves just suck it up. The shielding provides a path to ground, instead of the wiring sending it to your amp.

Actually, it's not providing a path to ground, it's acting as a faraday cage, blocking the transmission of EM waves by movement of charges in the shielding material. Realistically, the amount of shielding most guitarists put on the inside of the control and pickup cavities is excessive, and a wire mesh would probably be sufficient - after all, it's mostly radio and microwave interference you have to worry about. Alternatively, criss-crossed copper tape would work - it doesn't have to be continuous as most people think, merely have gaps smaller than 2cm or so (by a very rough in my head approximation).