has anyone attempted this? if so let me know how difficult it was, how much it costed, how time consuming it was, and all of that. and tell me how it sounds too if you made one!

any good websites on this topic are appreciated too.

Thanks!
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
haha
you said costed
anyways
i've never even considered trying though
best of luck
I want Super Saiyan abilities
anyone who's actually built one?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

have you ever made any electronic things before if you have and you know what you talking about i suggest the tube cricket
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
I've built a bunch of them. The 1st one I attempted ended very badly because torris didn't include all the parts or the instructions. After nearly a year of agruing with them on the phone I gave up on that one.

Then I started builing replicas of vintage amps and that was a bit easier to figure out.

Building tube amps is difficult and expensive so be sure you have somebody that can help you. If you don't have anybody to turn to for help then don't be too surprised if you can't get your 1st one to work. Even when everything look exactly right, there are still hundreds of things that can go wrong.
Not taking any online orders.
It's just like building anything else. Is building a house hard and expensive? How about a car? Kind of overkill, I know, but you get the picture. Find out everything you can about building a tube amp before deciding. The 'net is chock full of information. Do some searching and reading, and I think you'll find your answer.

Here's a good place to start that's been cited probably 1000 times on this forum:

http://www.ax84.com/
thanks, and yeah i do sort of have a guy to help me, even though i haven't built too many electronics
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Copying an existing amp isnt to difficult if you have a good idea of what your doing. But building one wont be any cheaper than buying one. Its best to start small and work your way up. You dont want your first amp to be a multichannel 100watt.
corduroyEW, how do the amps you've made sound? is it worth it overall?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Quote by LP51122
corduroyEW, how do the amps you've made sound? is it worth it overall?

Most of them sounded great. Some of them were really buzzy and didn't sound good. The buzzing is something I was eventually able to figure out what was wrong and fix it, (the wires going from the phase inverter to the output tubes were about 1" too long and that killed the amp) but it took me a while before I understood things enough to really be able to trouble shoot.

A big part of "is it worth it" is down the the quality of components. If you are getting a kit like the ones at mojo which use TAD, mallroy, and sprage caps, carbon composit resistors, and paper core transformers then you are going to have the potential to fix the vintage defects and make an amp that is significantly BETTER than a real vintage amp. If you are using a cheaper kit that uses off brand caps, cabon film or metal film resistors, and nylon core transformers then your amp probably won't sound as good as the real vintage amp but it will probably sound better than an amp built with a printed circuit board.

The fact that I keep bulding the amps even now should say that it is worth it for me.
Not taking any online orders.
^yep

Think about it. YOu are hand selecting each and every component. It is your choice to use a cheap cap (like the one found in most kits) or a nice one, like a handmade Sozo.

You handwire it yourself. You are in controll of qulaity.

Generally speaking I would say DIY tube amps are better for the most part. Still if you have no idea how to read a basic layout or have a generally idea of whats happening inside, well that aint good.
Quote by kurtlives91
You handwire it yourself. You are in control of quality.

That's not necessarily a good thing.