Poll: Are the "high quality" cables such as Monster a rip-off?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are the "high quality" cables such as Monster a rip-off?
Yes, they're a rip off
26 52%
No, they are not a rip off
24 48%
Voters: 50.
Some people say $50 cables like Monster are a rip-off and are no different than any old $20 live wire cable. Some say the difference is huge.
I am just curious what you all think and why. Thanks
They're overpriced, but not a rip-off. Compare a Monster or Lava to a cheap Fender and you can clearly hear the difference.
Quote by colin617
They're overpriced, but not a rip-off. Compare a Monster or Lava to a cheap Fender and you can clearly hear the difference.

I realize I'm getting my own thread sidetracked, but I feel I must say that you have incredible gear... I love both your guitars and both your amps (other than Dr. Z, never heard of it)..
Anyways sorry, back on topic
I use 10 dollar ones from radioshack. They sound and work fine.
But, I think I shouldn't skimp on cables anymore. I'll spring for some nicer ones once my wallet recovers.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I use all kinds of cables but I think my Planet Waves one has the least noise, and its guaranteed for life!
Yeah, I bought a planet waves speaker cable for my head to cab, and I was very impressed. It's extremely durable and I haven't had one problem with it whatsoever. It's just pure quality. The only reason keeping me from upgrading my cables is that I'd have to upgrade ALL of them. If I buy 5 new monster cables but still have to use one or two old cables for some pedals, it will be like I did nothing at all even though I spent $250 on cables That's the only thing stopping me. Like if I didn't have any pedals, I'd upgrade in a second.
monster are a rip off.
however cheap cables sound bad. people need to know the truth to cable. i will post a link as soon as i find it again.

edit/
heres the link. its a great read and will tell you all you need to know http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/cable-mojo.pdf
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Last edited by chea_man at May 29, 2008,
I wouldn't call monster high-end.
Better cables certainly have their merits, and at some point I'll get some Lava ELCs for a little more clarity and lower noise, but I won't be shelling out $20 a foot or anything.
good cables sound good!

bad cables sound REALLY bad!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
they shouldn't really sound better or worse. copper wire, or gold plated or whatever it may be will all transmit an audio signal just fine. Although gold is a little worse than copper...

but it really comes down to shielding. I have a 10 ft monster cable, and yeah i've gone through three of them, but I've got it replaced for free with the monster guarantee. lol **** happens.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by Shred-Hed
I use all kinds of cables but I think my Planet Waves one has the least noise, and its guaranteed for life!

+1

Love planet waves cables, and they're not very expensive either.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by FloydBarchetta
I realize I'm getting my own thread sidetracked, but I feel I must say that you have incredible gear... I love both your guitars and both your amps (other than Dr. Z, never heard of it)..
Anyways sorry, back on topic

I'll tell you now boyo, Dr. Z amps ****in rule. I cant remember which i played but it was ****in awesome.
Planet Waves are my favourites; durable, not much noise, not ridiculously expensive, and they have a lifetime guarantee.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
I think most of the price difference is the fact that they offer lifetime warranty.
When I compare Planet Wave cables against Yellow cables I hear no difference, but the former will last a lifetime. Also the quality of the connectors is better so they won't break as easily when you yerk them or step on them.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
In my opinion, you don't need a ridiculously expensive cable, but I'm not saying you should buy a really cheap crap one. Moderately priced cables are fine.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Don't buy Monster products; it's a company run by a bunch of thuggish assholes.

There are plenty of better cables for less $$$ than Monster.

Apart from that there are reports that they make the plugs slightly too big with the risk of damaging the input jacks on both guitar & amp or pedals after extended use.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Rosetti cables anyone? Pretty durable and good quality, though they are a tad flashy in appearance
I was surprised the other day at GC. I purchased a little Epi Valve Jr and needed an extra speaker cable and the sales guy brought back two. One was a Monster and the other was ??.

When I asked how much the Monster was, he showed me and I was pleasantly surprised at the $5-$8 price tag. I do not remember the exact price but it was low enough that it was a no-brainer to decide.

Soooo, either Monster has lowered prices some or they are now putting out a low-end line of cables. Dunno which.

Chris
GC was having a sale on non-boxed cables (aka ones that people use to try out amps in the store).

There were 20' Monster cables for $10, and I still didn't buy them because I hate Monster .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
The only thing you need is a fairly large conductor size with fair quality in the jacks and solder joints.

I get mid priced cables, I refuse to pay for high end monster cables, I feel they are a waste of money.
Good cables (and especially CONNECTORS!) are a must, but Monster is completely overpriced.

Just get a nice double-shielded coax with low capacitance and add some decent jacks (Neutrik, Amphenol)... voila! Great sounding cable that'll last 20 years.
You can always make some great quality cables with some basic soldering skills. You can have over 100 feet of good leads for less than the price of a single boutique cable.

I use cables I made myself, with canare cable and switchcraft/neutrik connectors or an X2 wireless.

George L's are a good "budget" cable that is readily available worldwide, and available in any different length. I use the word budget carefully, as they are not inexpensive, but relativley cheap compaed to similar quality cables out there.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by chea_man
monster are a rip off.
however cheap cables sound bad. people need to know the truth to cable. i will post a link as soon as i find it again.

edit/
heres the link. its a great read and will tell you all you need to know http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/cable-mojo.pdf

im quoting myself to get this link out there. its imperative that everyone reads this.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Planet Waves are amazing, not only because of the price, quality, and guarantee, but for two other reasons:

1) Love having the signal cutoff switch in the cable end
2) Easy to fix! My cable wore out from playing sitting on the floor and having it bend. The connection broke. All you do is unscrew the end, cut off the broken part, stick it back in and screw it together. No soldering at all. So easy you could fix it at a show even.
I never heard any real significance in cables (not counting the uber-crap/uber-cheap ones) from $20 & up until a friend of mine who deals in home theater installations gave me an Analysis Plus guitar cable for free just to get my opinion on it 2 years ago, & it made a significant difference in tone clarity & articulation. Best cables I've ever used, & they're not overpriced.
F#@k Monster & their way overpriced garbage.
Edit: The AP cables I have are their lighter, flexible, cheaper ones. Not the ones that are the size of a garden hose.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
For most people $20 dollars cables won't make a difference in sound to cables that cost $100 dollars. But if you have 20 cables in your set up, you will really start to notice the difference if you switch from the $20 dollar cables to the $100 dollar cables.

I'm not saying that price = quality but I'm just using it to get my point across.