EDIT: I would like to request this thread being stickied.

I notice that the fact that "Which Line 6 Spider III" thread seems to be occur every five threads or so, and that MG (halfstack) seems to have just as much occurence, here's a thread that will help you, and help the rest of the people who are tired of the questions.

Definition of Good tone
The good tone may very, depend on what you want. Since you are looking at Line 6 Spider or MG, you are probably into Metal, with a lot of distortion

But even if you listen to Dimebag/Pantera or Slayer, you still hear the sound, despite having over the top distortion, being very articulate with dynamics. THAT is good tone.

They are not too bad as practice amps, but better choice exist
MG and Line6 are okay for practice amps. That means it's okay to get a 15 watt MG and 15watt Spider... but there are better choices out there.
Choices are:
1) Traynor Guitar Mate series. Sounds slightly better than MG in distortion, a fraction of its price
2) Roland Cube. Got all your effects and amp modelling that sound better than Spider
3) Valvetronix . Does have a tube in it, but it does makes it sound somewhat better.

As gig amps, MG and Spider are bad
However, just by increasing their wattage does not makes them sound better. It just make the mud, fuzz and buzz even louder, with a lack of dynamic. Spider III is even worse in that it is very digital sounding, making it closer to a synth in a bad way.

Reliability issues
As these two amps are budget amps made in China, their liability is an issues, with people reporting that the stack forms of these practice amps died within a day or two after purchase. These can range from just die, or the only sounds they give out is squealing and buzzing.

MG is not true Marshall
You may say that Marshall made MG, so it must be good.

Truth is that they just bought a company called "Park", and slap their own label on it. So in essence, you are just paying extra just for the Marshall Marquee slap on top of a no-name brand.

Line 6: POD =/= Spider
You may think: Since POD is good, Spider must be good, right? Wrong. Considering the fact that even AMD and Intel makes a few bad CPU, it's the samething when it comes to digital effect.

Put it this way:
POD, Vetta, and Flextone is like a Core 2 Quad Extreme. Good design, and can run Crysis smoothly.
Spider is your mother's celeron. If you somehow get it run Crysis, it's gonna be crap.

So just because the POD got rave review does not automatically mean Spider is good.

Since we already maintained that they are bad, the rest of the UG will not recommend those two. Thus:

a) DO NOT BOTHER ASKING ABOUT LINE 6 SPIDER
b) DO NOT BOTHER ASKING ABOUT MARSHALL MG

c) SHOULD YOU DECIDE TO STILL ASK THEM ABOUT IT, AND INSIST ON MG OR SPIDER, WE WILL GIVE YOU AN ANSWER YOU WILL DEFINITELY HATE.

Oh, and fuzzing and buzzing and mud is not a good tone. If that is the tone you want, then why are you even asking us?

If you want to get an answer you like, go to a music store where they will try to sell you the crap.

What to do for gigs
a) An all tube 15w (distorted) 30w (clean) is loud enough for club gigs.
b) Most club venues have PA system, allowing anything that good tone sound loud enough
c) Most large venues may also provide that nice all tube Marshall Full stacks with an SVT for the bass player.
c) Many music stores have equipment rentals, and unless you do stadium/large hall /outdoor concert gigs a lot (like every week), renting can save you a lot of money.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at May 29, 2008,
It's stuff like this that needs to be stickied.

But... can't count on that.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well, my mate has a Spider II, and even at high volumes it sounds fairly good, even with the effects/distortion on. Obviously it doesn't sound fantastic, but for a practice amp of that size it's quite good. It IS digital though, which does mean the sound always has an audible fundamental flaw, but overall it's a good amp. I do however agree with you when you say there are better amps for the money.
This is great and all, but...

hasn't this been done before?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee

hasn't this been done before?

well, that wasn't stickied... Though as many have said, probably won't be.

The reason I am angsting about this is that there seems to be a lot of question on picking spider... sigh.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
what are you talking about the mg is teh br00t4lz and has CRUSHING distortion. dont bag out teh grail of br00t4lz!!

seriously tho. my school has an mg100 and it stinks. not as bad as the broken laneys they have tho.. lol
I doubt it'll be stickied.

Maybe if you fix your spelling and gramatical errors they'd be more obliged to.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have an MG and my god it is awesome.

Okay i'm lying, it is awful. Hell i'm buying a JVM410 just to get over it. I don't think i'll even be able to give the MG away
Quote by Jamie.
I have an MG and my god it is awesome.

Okay i'm lying, it is awful. Hell i'm buying a JVM410 just to get over it. I don't think i'll even be able to give the MG away

People on ebay will buy ANYTHING
indeed. they buy used cutlery, singing fish and even... happiness.

no seriously i saw someone listing an item called happiness once.
Quote by rok-en-rol
People on ebay will buy ANYTHING

true, you can easily sell a marshall MG on ebay by just saying

"OMFG, MARSHALL AMPLIFIER! not FENDER ORANGE DUMBLE VOX AMPEG RANDALL PEAVEY L@@K".

then, even people looking for fender, orange, dumble (in their dreams), vox, ampeg, randall or peavey amps will be stopped in their searches by the almighty MARSHALL AMPLIFIER FOR ONLY £250 and buy it immediately.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
haha i like how you compared to cpu line up and crysis. but i doubt many here knows what your talking about since not everyone is into computer gaming
A pal plays thru a Spider 3 at gigs 30w effort tbh its doesnt sound too bad, not somet I'd personally go for(infact I wouldnt touch it) but that and his tele get quite a nice tone...
"Liability issues
As these two amps are budget amps made in China, their liability is an issues, with people reporting that the stack forms of these practice amps died within a day or two after purchase."

I believe you mean reliability issues. No one is going to sue you for owning a Spider, even though a few UGers may want to. LOL That said, I think the reliability issue is over stated. When I owned my Spider 3 I found it's construction quite nice, everything else you said about it is true however.
Tone is subjective. What one defines as good tone varies from person to person. These amps actually have passable clean channels...
^Very passable clean channels. The cleans are the only part I can actually stand about the spiders.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I did, however, took a few assumptions:
a) It is new player that will think they are good and will not pick anything else
-If it's new players, especially a young man like me (or even young woman), they would be playing video games while paying attention to PC gaming.
b) They believe they need all the effects
c) They want a lot of distortion, and MG/Spider's extreme setting seems brutal. This is when they will ask why is so many people bashing them.

That's why I do not account for the cleans, especially in regard to spider (they will not be thinking of running the Metal Muff into the clean channel)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Quote by imgooley
Tone is subjective. What one defines as good tone varies from person to person. These amps actually have passable clean channels...

I dunno, my friend has an MG halfstack and it has the most horrible clean sound I've ever heard. It's disgusting.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com