Is the action on a guitar supposed to be a lot higher toward the end of the fretboard (frets 15-24)? It seems that when I play around frets 9-13, my fingers have to only press down like half the distance compared to when I'm playing up around fret 15 and higher. Is this a problem with my truss rod or floyd rose bridge or something? I realized that this has been what's affecting my playing on the higher frets.

Action of the bass E string at the 9th fret (dotted):

Action of the bass E string at the 21st fret (dotted):

I know they're blurry, but that should give you the basic idea. I'm getting the feeling my guitar needs some work done? Cuz this action seems weird.

Any input?

---EDITED:

Last edited by fixationdarknes at May 29, 2008,
I'm honestly not certain if its normal or not, but if it isnt, adjusting the bridge will help.
Lower the bridge to lower the strings.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
check your truss rod, neck is probably pretty badly bowed. Tighten the rod 1\4 turn at a time until the neck has just a slight bow to it. Remember righty tighty lefty loosey.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
i think the truss rod may need tightening...but i may be wrong...
Quote by Alex The Red

If it doesn't have to do with tube amps or sex most of us don't really care..

Quote by Kutanmoogle

Looks like Lars Ulrich decided to become a hacker.

Quote by aaron6890
penises FTW

not in the gay way

<.<
>.>

There's nothing wrong with this, it just means that either your truss rod isn't tight enough or your bridge is too high or, which is most likely, a combination of both. Because the action closer to the nut is good, lower the bridge if you can. If not, tighten the springs under it to pull the bridge down.
The thing is though -- my action is perfect around frets 7-12, but seems a tad to low on the frets lower than that and too high on the frets higher than that. Will a truss rod adjustment even that out or just simply raise/lower the strings evenly all over the fretboard? Because that wouldn't solve my problem.

And can I do it myself or should I take it into a shop?
Last edited by fixationdarknes at May 29, 2008,
Next time take the pic from further away, no more blur okay?
K I tried taking a better picture, which still sucks. Using my gay camera phone, and it always seems to focus on the background rather than the guitar. Anyway, I outlined my problem in the picture...

You can see that by the 24th fret, the action is just a joke. At least for me. I do NOT want to be pressing that hard to fret my notes. So this has to do with truss rod adjusting?
That sounds/looks to me as if your neck has too much or a bow in, so tightening your truss rod may help. WAIT FOR SOMEONE WHO KNOWS BETTER THAN ME TO AGREE AND TELL YOU HOW TO TIGHTEN IT SAFELY BEFORE YOU TOUCH IT, if you do it wrong, your neck could go bye-bye.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by fixationdarknes
Is the action on a guitar supposed to be a lot higher toward the end of the fretboard (frets 15-24)? It seems that when I play around frets 9-13, my fingers have to only press down like half the distance compared to when I'm playing up around fret 15 and higher. Is this a problem with my truss rod or floyd rose bridge or something? I realized that this has been what's affecting my playing on the higher frets.

I think that is normal. If you lower the bridge you will lower all the strings (the lower frets not as much as the higher ones), and then you will be looking for solutions to buzzing strings, and messing with the truss rod is a scary approach. You could tune down to make fretting easier all the way up the fretboard (like Tony Iommi).

looks the same as what my guitar does, not sure if it is normal or not but all guitars i have seen in shops do that.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Well I would imagine it would be ideal to have the action on the high frets be just as low as on the lower frets, right? At the current moment it's just hard to press down on the high frets quickly. Argh.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Well I would imagine it would be ideal to have the action on the high frets be just as low as on the lower frets, right? At the current moment it's just hard to press down on the high frets quickly. Argh.

yeh of course but im just saying on all of the guitars iv seen its been like that but maybe most are just set up badly.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube