ok some of these questions will sound really stupid but i just need them answered because 1 day im goin 2 want to upgrade my bass nd wen that day comes im goin 2b screwed

1. what are electronics and is that just the pickups?

2. whats a traus rod or wateva nd can r u suppose 2 adjust it or something?

3. i thought u just used the bridge to adjust ur strings height so y woud i want 2 replace it?

4. if i put the strings higher or lower wat happens? coudnt i just put them really high?

5. whats a nut nd their width? what difference does it make? i dont get them

i mite add more questions if i need 2

btw if ur goin2 answer a question coud u plz put the number down aswell?
1 The electronics are basically everything under the pickguard, the pick-ups, the pots, the input jack.

2. The truss rod is the rod in the neck which counter-acts the tension of your strings. you can adjust it yes, but if you don't feel comfortable doing that you can take it to a guitar workshop for someone else to set it up for you.

3. The bridge can be used for all sorts of things, some can drastically change the action height, some have tremolo arms, and some (like mine) have pick ups on them.
Also a new bridge can drastically change the tone of your bass.

4. If you put them higher or lower the strings go higher or lower, its personal preferance to how high you want the action.

5. The nut is the block of bone or plastic between the neck and the headstock.
Quote by sonsie
thx solid moon so much

Haha sigged.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
while ur still here (hopefully) if i wanted 2 replace the pickups 2 active 1s woud i have to replace all the electronics? i hav a fender standard p bass

nd watgs the point of adjustin the traus rod
If your neck bends or warps you can adjust the truss rod to help change it back or something like that. I don't know much about electronics so I can't help you there.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
I don't know much about pick-ups, but adjusting the truss rod stops bowing in the neck of the bass.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Is it an American made Fender or a MIM? Active Pickups aren't really the way to go for the classic tone of a fender IMO. If you really want to replace the stock pickups so badly, you should get some high-end passive P-style pickups; Seymour Duncan Basslines are good.

Since nobody said it yet: Don't mess with the truss rod if you don't know what your doing, turning it too much can ruin the neck.
If you are going to replace the pickups with active pickups, yes you need to get different value potometers and capacitors.

There is info on setting up a bass in the FAQ, so read that before you mess with the bridge or truss rod. If you don't know what you are doing, the conseqences can range from a a near unplayble, poorly intonated bass to a snapped neck if you really mess with the truss rod.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
lol dw im not goin 2 mess with the traus rod im just askin these things btw if theres any other part of the bass i shoud know about plz tell

with the electronics its just that i want 2 replace them so this bass will last a bit longer cuz after this bass im so savin up for a musicman sting ray

btw its a fender standard p bass i think this 1 http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0136100380
Quote by sonsie
lol dw im not goin 2 mess with the traus rod im just askin these things btw if theres any other part of the bass i shoud know about plz tell

with the electronics its just that i want 2 replace them so this bass will last a bit longer cuz after this bass im so savin up for a musicman sting ray

btw its a fender standard p bass i think this 1 http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0136100380

I think that you shouldn't change anything. That's a pretty good bass by itself, and replacing bridge and/or pickups to something better is gonna cost you between 200$ and 300$. So you might as well put that money directly into your Stingray pot
lol alreadygone i think u shoud know that im only 14yrs old nd that stingray is gonna b waitin in line for ages so fee free 2 giv me any tips on how 2 go about upgrading

btw i need new strings wat would b good for rhcp style music?
Someone is going to inevitably recommend GHS here, but really its going to be up to your personal taste. (And the Rotosound brigade will of course chime in as well.)

Its going to be up to your preference on type and gauge. For me, I like a lighter gauge string for a good slap tone. If you are scrounging for cash that month, I always think for the price, Ernie Balls are a good choice. I'm a Roto girl myself, but I tried quite a few types of strings before I made that decision.

There are a number of threads on string choices--you may want to do a quick search and see what others have said as well.
yeh another stupid question:

1. what is guage?
2. what is inotation?

btw u rote somewher that soakin ur strings in mytholated spirit will renew them does that really work?
Quote by sonsie
yeh another stupid question:

1. what is guage?
2. what is inotation?

btw u rote somewher that soakin ur strings in mytholated spirit will renew them does that really work?

1. Gauge is the thickness of the string.

2. Intonation is how close your instrument is in pitch or to quote Merriam Webster "degree of adherence to correct pitch".

http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_setup/bass_intonation.html has a good explanation.

Cleaning the strings, yes. Back when I was a very poor college student I used to do this. Several things to note--while it will bring back some brightness to the string, its not a long term replacement to buying new strings and usually only lasts about a week before they go "dead" sounding again. And I would only recommend doing it once to a set--it does weaken the string and they more apt to break.
Quote by gm jack
If you are going to replace the pickups with active pickups, yes you need to get different value potometers and capacitors.

lol wut?

Don't you mean potentiometers?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
yes, ghs are good for rhpc style. specially since Flea has his own sig set of ghs strings.
anyways, since everything else has pretty much been said, i'm out of suggestions.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by Nutter_101
lol wut?

Don't you mean potentiometers?

Yes I do. Biology has taken over my brain.

And the Flea sig string go dead ina day. He changes his strings daily.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at May 29, 2008,
Since nobody else answered it I don't think...

5: nut width tells you how far the strings are spaced apart near the headstock. A wider nut will let your strings be spaced out more. This is more important with acoustics than basses in my opinion. Put it this way... a skinny fingered strummer would probably like a nut width that is narrow. A fat fingered fingerstyle player would want a wide nut. On basses, it's mostly preference I think, just whatever feels right. If you get a wrong nut width for you on a 6-string, it may be unplayable or at least highly uncomfortable for your style.
I'm With the Rotosound Brigade so i would recommend those.

As for the trustrod If you have problems with the action or have ratteling sound then with the trusrod you can solve that if its above fret 12 if its below fret 12 use the bridge. (this is a general rule).

If you "play" with th trusrod i recommend getting help from a friend who has done it before and knows what he is doing else get it to a shop to set it up.

The rest is pretty much said here.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
I don't mean to be an asshole but all of your questions could have been answered by reading through the FAQ.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by sonsie
ok some of these questions will sound really stupid but i just need them answered because 1 day im goin 2 want to upgrade my bass nd wen that day comes im goin 2b screwed

1. what are electronics and is that just the pickups?

the electrical bits. including, but not limited to, the wires, pickups, potentiometers and input jack

2. whats a traus rod or wateva nd can r u suppose 2 adjust it or something?

the truss rod is for adjusting the relief of your neck. it only needs adjusting if you change string guages and the like, or mess with your action. or if someone else messed it up

3. i thought u just used the bridge to adjust ur strings height so y woud i want 2 replace it?

some bridges are horrendous and sap loads of sustain. for example, a leo quan badass has far far more sustain than the stock fender bridges!

4. if i put the strings higher or lower wat happens? coudnt i just put them really high?

makes it easier to play when they're lower but then you get horrible fret noise too. and when its too high you're wasting energy pressing the strings down!

5. whats a nut nd their width? what difference does it make? i dont get them

look at the head of your bass (the part with the tuning keys). see where the strings are at the start of the neck, theres normally a piece of plastic/brass/bone that keeps the strings aligned. you need'nt worry about this unless you break it/get a different string guage

Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.