i am pretty much just starting to learn to play guitar. i have an ibanez (it says gio on the head too) which was part of a start-up package sorta deal which was actually a christmas present. amp, bag, guitar lessons cd (doesnt work btw), picks, chord chart, tuner, etc included. although ive had this since christmas, due to school (and a nasty case of mono), i have had not so much time to play or practice. to be honest, as far behind as i am(like 7 tests and an exam with 4 full days left) i should not even be doing this, rather i should be studying my ass off. however, a friend of mine gave me a demo of his band today, and finding myself awake in the early hours of the morn(again), i gave it a listen, picked up my own guitar, and made my way onto this site. another friend of mine plays drums, he is actually quite good, and ive jammed with him in his garage a few times. i find, nonetheless, that i am unsatisfied with my own ability to play gee-tar, so i was wondering if any of you guitarmastershreddergods (anyone here) could give me some sort of personal advice. i would very much appreciate it if anyone could give me guidance on how to become a better guitarist
time.

time is one of the most important but it sounds like u dont have it.

ur better off to leave the guitar when ur finished with the tests
or
play when u have mental blocks! i have them about every 30minutes so i am an ok player
yeah..leave the guitar until you finish your exam.
Any great music theory thrown into your brain at the moment won't retain.

but here's something simple 3/4, 7/8....these are monkey wrench sizes.
Last edited by Ordinary at May 29, 2008,
my advice is stop typing like a 12 year old girl would, if you are a 12 year old girl then thats alright, for your guitar dont sit around playing tabs, get into learning basic theory like getting to know some common scales and chords, learn techniques, learn to read music because you will be able to get the timing of the songs your playing alot better than what you would with tabs, then after you ve practised all this start playing whatever
just know that your not going to become a "guitarshreddergod" or w/e it for a looong time. years and years of practice probobly. also know that its not how long you practice, it's how you practice. don't just doodle in front of a TV doing nothing. sit down, learn stuff. i suggest starting with theory and maybe some basics. knowing basic-intermediate theory before you do everything else will help loads. also, find your favorite guitarist(s) and study them and what they do. every guitarist does stuff different from the rest, for instance, Van Halen does a lot of tapping, Metallica (kirk hammet) does a lot of pentatonic type riffs, etc.

practice practice practice
PATIENCE. make sure you learn as many chords as possible first, not powerchords, but major, minor and all the 7th chords. this builds structure, and you will be able to COMPOSE SO MUCH BETTER! it's taken me almost 3 years of constant practice to be able to shred, and I still have a lot to learn, but you have to be patient and give yourself goals! good luck!
Quote by BadgeMan
I think this is fitting -

e-3-------------------
b---3--3-5-3--------
g-----------------3-4
d-----------------4-5
a-----------------4-5
E-----------------2-3
Quote by wilson 595
PATIENCE. make sure you learn as many chords as possible first, not powerchords, but major, minor and all the 7th chords. this builds structure, and you will be able to COMPOSE SO MUCH BETTER! it's taken me almost 3 years of constant practice to be able to shred, and I still have a lot to learn, but you have to be patient and give yourself goals! good luck!

I personally disagree.You should learn chords but don't rush to them.I mean you want to have fun when you play though.

If you want to be the next Skwisgaar Sqwigelf then don't rush.I'm 10 years old,and i'm pretty good compared to my dad http://www.poornreign.com/

and I'm good but not 200X better than him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWrCZ5ghHzI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lf-wNQu0bk&feature=related
dont get lessons from on of those music stores teach yourself through tabs it is a better way to learn!
thanks for the advice everyone, but for now ill be doing the school worrying about/studying as i have to learn 3 chapters of precalculus in the next 4 hours if i hope to pass

and no i am not a 12 year old girl
I learned basic chords before touching theory. Theory is important, but memorizing essential chords is gonna be pretty much necessary anyway, and it's great to be able to play something when you're just starting out, without having to first learn the theory behind everything. Even if you just learn all the major and minor chords, that opens up like a million songs to just play for fun. Learning basic theory, how triads and scales and all that works, can be a really undesirable task to do when first learning guitar, cause I just wanted to play music, not study music. At least thats how it was for me. I think theory is pretty interesting now though, and I often even read about it for entertainment, not just as a necessary "work" to get better.