Hi there, i had always been a multi effects user. So i get to use lots of different sounds and change from one patch to another with just one push of a button although they may sound more digital.

But i question i always had in mind was that while using an amp for the tones how do people change from say a drive channel with no reverb to a lead channel with reverb and delay? if stomp boxes are used for the reverb and delay then to change from a clean channel to a lead channel would require the player to press three buttons, one for the drive channel, one for the reverb and one for the delay, which is quite troublesome when playing live.

The big guitar players like john petrucci, steve vai and others seem to do it with just one press of a button although even they use amps. So how do they do that? Can anyone explain to me the whole thing? i am new to all these.
well, they use some (i don't really recall the name) big ass stompbox, which has something like from 5 to 8 pedals, each pedal can be programmed with various effects, for example, one pedal with overdrive, flanger and reverb, another pedal with distortion and compressor, another one with a clean and a chorus, etc, hope it helps
MIDI programmable rack effects and amp channel switching. The MIDI pedalboard thing they'll use will be able to control them all with a push of a button.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by loonyguitarist
MIDI programmable rack effects and amp channel switching. The MIDI pedalboard thing they'll use will be able to control them all with a push of a button.

Could you please explain how its done? I mean the process?
What they have at their feet is a large MIDI controller, in the rack they have all the amp heads and effects units/pedals they use, the MIDI unit controlls the amp channel switching and there are also at least one effects loop for each pedal they use; when they press the button it turns effect loops on or off and can switch amp heads and channels. Of course only some heads support MIDI switching but they use those or different heads with the settings they want.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
That's seems to be quite complicated. But leaving the pros aside, what do others do who cant afford all those?
Quote by slashofrdx
That's seems to be quite complicated. But leaving the pros aside, what do others do who cant afford all those?

That really depends on what kind of tone you want and how much variety you need, even without the budget issues.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Creative stomping... i can nail two boss style pedals with each foot simultaneously (big feet help)
or switching the ambient fx slightly after (tap dancing)

couple of A/B boxes line selector type things would be easier but less fun
Shut up and play your guitar!
Guitar volume and tone controls, clever use of the pickup selector, picking dynamics. You don't need to stand on something for every miniscule tone change, you just need to learn how to use your equipment. Obviously for outboard effects like delay and reverb you need a stomp, but most guitariasts pretty much work with one base tone that they tweak as opposed to several completely different ones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Guitar volume and tone controls, clever use of the pickup selector, picking dynamics. You don't need to stand on something for every miniscule tone change, you just need to learn how to use your equipment. Obviously for outboard effects like delay and reverb you need a stomp, but most guitariasts pretty much work with one base tone that they tweak as opposed to several completely different ones.

Ya thats true. but suppose when playing live you have to quickly switch from a clean channel with an external compressor, reverb and delay on to a hi gain drive channel with no reverb or delay or compressor. Does that mean you will have to manually switch off all the three stomps? Isnt there a way to add different effects to different channels? coz then it would be easier.
Quote by slashofrdx

Some amps have separate FX loops for each channel in addition to the one main one... EG with my amp I could hook up my phaser to the clean channel and my delay to the dirty channel and only have to press the channel switch button to go from clean phase to delayed distortion. But you'd still have to tap-dance to turn the effects off etc.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Ground control..... or a ****load of stompboxes....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.