A 27-year-old Whakatane man has been fined for assaulting a teenage boy with a hedgehog.

Whakatane District Court was told that William Singalargh threw a hedgehog at a 15-year-old boy hitting him on the hip and leaving a large red welt and several puncture marks.

Police prosecutor Lisa Cowie said the victim and two friends were riding home from the Whakatane skate park in February when they were confronted by Singalargh.

He threatened the boys with the hedgehog, saying "Do you want to wear a hedgehog helmet?"

He then launched it at the victim, hitting him in the right hip causing several quills to lodge in his skin.

The defence claimed that it was a case of mistaken identity and the hedgehog was thrown by a friend of Singalargh.

Singalargh was convicted of common assault and offensive behaviour following a defended hearing. A charge of assault with a weapon, namely a hedgehog, was dropped.

He was fined a total of $700 with $500 going to his victim.

Passing sentence, Judge Ian Thomas described the case as "much ado about nothing in many respects".

The unusual nature of the case had resulted in national and international interest.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4565037a4560.html
I saw this on 3 News, I laughed so hard at the mother so serious while talking about a hedgehog attack.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
"do you want to wear a hedgehog helmet?"

i quake in fear.
I have no opinion on this matter.
thats just straight up awesomeness.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I saw this on 3 this evening. Does it mean that a pet hedgehog will be possesion of a weapon? Will we all need hedgehog licences?

Whakatane...

...The boy's identity is suppressed but his mother told 3 News the whole incident was bizarre saying “It’s just been shocking, couldn’t believe what happened.”

Singhlagag denied a charge of assault with a weapon when he appeared at Whakatane District Court today, his lawyer arguing it was a case of mistaken identity. Police say they arrested Singalagah soon after the incident in February and he admitted having a hedgehog Constable Lyndon Reid said

“I asked him if he knew anything in relation to an assault using a hedgehog and he admitted to being in possession of a hedgehog.”

The court hearing is continuing, the victim and his family want the whole thing to be finished “it's been hard for him…”

Here's the news video.
This is soooooooooooooooo phucking old!!!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
dude I feel more sorry for the hedgehog, I mean, that kid will heal, he's 15, he doesn't give a damn, but that hedgehog had no idea what's going on and suddenly he goes flying for no reason?! I mean damn! poor little thing
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
Here's what you do.
1. Get a trout.
2. Bring trout everywhere you go.
3. Problem solved.

Seriously, I wouldn't **** with a guy who is randomly carrying a trout.

OM NOM NOM
poor hedge hog but...ahahahahah

just imagine...

"hey man! how did you get that scar on ure hip!?"

"some guy threw a hedgehog at me..."
*insert sonic the hedgehog joke here*
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
why can't anything like that happen where i live damnit??!!
Amen...Oh Wait....
Im Getting Dizzy....
My Bad.....
MEGA KIWI NEW ZEALAND CHALLANGE TIME!

Pronounce Whakatane.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by solid_moose
MEGA KIWI NEW ZEALAND CHALLANGE TIME!

Pronounce Whakatane.