How does the amplifier head / cabinet compatibility work?

Example:
If i have a 100 watt full tube amplifier head, a 100 watt 2x12 cabinet would be compatible?
Or a 100 watt cabinet is only compatible to the limit of 100 watts solid state? (which means for a 100 watt full tube amp head i would need a 200 watt cabinet)
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I use Avatar cabs with my Amps, so the main thing Im pretty sure you're supposed to worry about is ohms, not so much wattage.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
I even play a 120W peavey 6505 on a 100W 4*12. No problem at all. I just have to make sure i dont put my volume over 7, because then i can hear my speakers sweat. But since i dont ever go over 5, its no problem. I bought that cab from someone who used it for his 150W tripple rec. As long as you pay attention at your volume knob, it cant harm.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Dark_Raven10
I use Avatar cabs with my Amps, so the main thing Im pretty sure you're supposed to worry about is ohms, not so much wattage.

Okay, then if the amp head ohms are equal or inferior to the cabinet's ohms, even if the amp head wattage is superior, there's no problem?

That doesn't seem right...
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at May 29, 2008,
the only thing that could happen is that your speakers get shot. They don't BLOW i dont think, tey just sound horribly buzzy. A 120Watt amp doesn't ALWAYS produce 120 watts. Only at higher volumes, so dont need to worry too much about it.

The only reason ppl get 200w cabs and 120 watt heads is pretty much so they have the option of doing whatever they want regarding volume
100w amp will work with 100w cab

you can use a higher wattage cab it will sound different due to the amp having to do more work before the cones move

you can use a lower wattage cab which will break up easier if you want that sort of sound but you risk blowing the speakers

8ohm head 8ohm cab try to keep impedances matched

watts are watts either ss or tube
Shut up and play your guitar!
Last edited by plbrynt at May 29, 2008,
Quote by Linkerman
How does the amplifier head / cabinet compatibility work?

Example:
If i have a 100 watt full tube amplifier head, a 100 watt 2x12 cabinet would be compatible?
Or a 100 watt cabinet is only compatible to the limit of 100 watts solid state? (which means for a 100 watt full tube amp head i would need a 200 watt cabinet)

you want the same wattage or higher.

Off topic:
btw linkerman, BECK is an amazing anime and it basically inspried me to all hell to get better at guitar and get into a band and stuff. It's so inspiring
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
Quote by plbrynt
100w amp will work with 100w cab

you can use a higher wattage cab it will sound different due to the amp having to do more work before the cones move

you can use a lower wattage cab which will break up easier if you want that sort of sound but you risk blowing the speakers

8ohm head 8ohm cab try to keep impedances matched

watts are watts either ss or tube

I just asked because a 200 watt solid state amp is about as loud as a 120 watt tube.

Thank you very much for your help!
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112