I swore to myself I'd never ask the pit for advice, but it's come to it...

I'm getting a new laptop at the weekend and, being a computer n00b, have no idea which ones are good/bad/etc.

So, pit, can you recommend me a good laptop? Would be used mainly for gaming, but also for recording & sound editing, MS word, excel etc, & the usual online/chat stuff.

I'm in the UK, & my upper limit is £600-£700, but I'd like to get a good one cheaper than that if possible.

Thanks in advance to anyone!
Do you drive? 'cos if so a desktop really isn't a problem.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
watch these things:
ram (2-4 gb)
cpu (dual core, good speed)
gfx card (go for a geforce 8 series + vista, xp=other gfx cards, 512mb)

oh and check the alienware website, they make gaming laptops
Get an Asus G1S, it's fairly budget priced and will handle almost all your gaming needs. I just got one 10 days ago and it's kick ass.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Quote by dangorironhide
I won't be at uni.

Fair enough, although with a large bag, you know, the shoulder ones used for trips of a couple days length are fine for carrying a desktop about.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by dangorironhide
I'd rather get a desktop, but it's for uni so I need to be able to cart it around places.

I thought that when i came to uni. Honestly tho, after 2 years, i've taken my laptop into labs 3 times. I'm several times for likely to be carrying my laptop somewhere for gaming than for work. I've ended up building a desktop as well, because it's just easier most of the time.

I'll be nice and give you some advice anyway. It's been a while, but last time i investigated laptops, Acer and Hp seemed to be the brands to go for - reliable with decent performance at a good price. Stay away from Dell, the workmanship isn't the best and they're overpriced.
alienware/xps are definitely overpriced. dell isn't all that great when it comes to performance per dollar. i'd look on newegg.com and just find something with 2 gigs of ram, a 7 series or better video card, and a core 2 duo processor within your price range.
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
asus f3 ive got it and i can run crisis at near enought max graphics it a great laptop
Look for anything with 2,0GHz or more dualcore processor, 2GB or 3GB of RAM (4 wont do you any good unless you get a 64bit operating system which I wouldnt recommend unless you know what you're doing.) Don't get anything lower than a geforce 8600gt (dont get the gs its a lot crappier) or ati hd2600 if you want to be able to play any recent games. For stuff like css a 8400 will do, but it'll cripple if you run crysis even on lowest settings.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Quote by saphrax
Well, I'd be surprised if you can get much better thanthis, from Dabs

this probably the best for your price range

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
This is a brilliant laptop for your price range. You can go for the £649 or £729 model if you want more power, memory, ect. The good thing about dell aswell is you can customise the laptop to be built how you want it.

Dell Linky

Hope this helps
Originally posted by AvRiLRoxx0rs!
Avril definately has some metal influences. Her guitar playing has power chords..just like metal!

www.myspace.com/alexbdale
Quote by Mad_BOB
Acer and Hp seemed to be the brands to go for

Don't go for Acer, they crash all the time.
Quote by mexican_shred
^oh jesus christ . just because it has the same brand name and a remotely same name doesnt make it at all the same. its like saying a cat is like a human because its a mammal.
Quote by HeliuM
Look for anything with 2,0GHz or more dualcore processor, 2GB or 3GB of RAM (4 wont do you any good unless you get a 64bit operating system which I wouldnt recommend unless you know what you're doing.) Don't get anything lower than a geforce 8600gt (dont get the gs its a lot crappier) or ati hd2600 if you want to be able to play any recent games. For stuff like css a 8400 will do, but it'll cripple if you run crysis even on lowest settings.

This is all true as far as I know. +1
Quote by UnresolvdMurder
Don't go for Acer, they crash all the time.

I've got an Acer and I haven't had many problems, sure it crashes once in a while when Vista decides its not compatable with some software...
Stay well away from Fujitsu-Siemens. I have one at the moment. Worked well for about 3 months, then all hell broke loose. Random turnings-off, battery problems, cant handle games at all. As soon as i can, im getting rid of it and buying a desktop.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
HP entertainment notebooks
I have a dv6000, no complaints, sufficient power, and i use it for uni as well
I will shoot anyone who suggests a mac.

Get a Dell XPS. Portable, good for gaming, and dell has some great deals.
Everyone becomes a genius when they join UG
As said above, DO NOT buy an acer. I'm close to throwing mine in the trash.
Girls exist on UG.
Quote by Godzillolz
I will shoot anyone who suggests a mac.

Well, with £700 as the max spend amount, that gives the TS a choice of....

... 1 MacBook! And it's ****.

* 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1GB memory
* 120GB hard drive
* Combo drive
Go for an HP! I don't think I've seen any laptop that can beat the standards of an HP.
As I always say: "Rawr"