so i have been listening to metal and hardcore music for quite some time now and have started to become curious as to why must we mark a strict line between the two genres. i mean seriously... i have read both wiki pages on both genres... but if what they say is true then they really are very similar. i do realize that they are different, i know that august burns red is not the same as CoB, but why must people get so defensive when ABR is called metal? its heavy stuff, its fast, its got distorted vocals, its got clean vocals.... who cares? metal is already probably the biggest, most widely varying types of music in the first place, i really think it should be its own type of music, not a sub-genre of rock, because it really is something entirely new, so why not just lump all that is heavy and makes you want to break stuff in one genre? criticism IS wanted... this is a question first, a suggestion second.
'Hey Im looking for hardcore like Gorilla Biscuits'

'Oh ok try some metal, here's a Diabolic album'

Genres are needed.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Because Metal is a lot of the time based on rock type stuff, although not all the time.
Because although it may all be heavy and make you want to break stuff, it sounds different? Putting stuff in genres makes it easier to find simmilar sounding music. Which is why we do it.

People get defensive when a non metal band is called a metal band because it is wrong, and confusing to people trying to find metal bands to listen to.
Metalcore and the like IS metal; we just have a seperate forum for trafficing issues.

/thread
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Genres like that are good. What annoys me when someone tries to define something with a rediculously massive subgenre like

"Oh its posthardgrungecoreuberindustrialpunkfunkmuffins"

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at May 29, 2008,
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
Genres like that are good. What annoys me when someone tries to define something with a rediculously massive subgenre like

"Oh its posthardgrungecoreuberundustrialpunkfunkmuffins"

hahahahahahaha
Quote by BenRaah
Isn't it more about the actually music than what genre it is?

Or is that just me?

+1

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Metal is a sub-genre of rock because rock is the governing genre of metal. It doesn't matter how big a sub-genre is, it's still a sub-genre simply because of factors in the music that tie it to the governing genre, but in such a way that they are evolved from the governing genre.
Quote by BenRaah
Isn't it more about the actually music than what genre it is?

Or is that just me?

good call man, got caught up in the politics of music accidentally
megobro, just so you know, this type of Thread / Question has been done to death.

And, I say 'Feel' based on the overall sound of a said band dictates what genre type it adheres to.

The line may get blurred, but for some of us that crave a specific 'Feel' - we don't want to blur them too much because it would get difficult to find what we want (As Stranglehold stated).
eh.... well in that case, sorry for cluttering up this forum, my bad, i just registered to ask this question lol. it just frustrates me when i cant figure out this question, because i dont think it will EVER be answered... its just too blurry, but whatever, who cares.
Quote by walkinbazooka
Metalcore and the like IS metal; we just have a seperate forum for trafficing issues.

/thread

+1000000

Jesus, just listen to the rules and you won't get hurt (much). If you have any questions/complaints about the rules PM a mod.
Eh, it's separated for a reason, and it works. Some of the guys here rather enjoy hardcore and stuff (I actually prefer hardcore to metal), but others don't, and it's just safer to split the two up.
Yeah, see IC gets what I mean. It is the answer you seek megobro, without going into a MASSIVE rant about it .
If anything, metal isn't strictly defined enough. How else do the hordes of *core fans come around to thinking their favourite bands are metal?

I have an idea, why don't we let the metalheads decide which bands are metal instead of the hardcore fans? People come from the hardcore forum, repeatedly moan saying "OMG THIZ BAND IZ TEH BR000TALZ TEY MUST BE METALZ" and eventually they get their way.
So you're saying that a metal fan can decide whether a band is metal or hardcore?

What if the metal fan happens to like hardcore as well?

I think it's pretty damn obvious. There's metal, then there's hardcore influenced metal. They're separated, and when a thread is made in one of the forums about a band of the other forums description, they are guided to the right place.