Apologies for having to make this thread, I know the answers can be found with a little UG research and use of the search-bar - but I really need clarified responses. Some of what I looked at isn’t exactly conclusive.

Ok, I bought an SM57 intending to hook it up to my Micro BR (a portable digital recorder) so I could record my amp’s tone. However, I’ve just found out that doesn’t work very well at all. Mainly because I can only plug the mic into the guitar input, which doesn’t have the correct pre-amp for a mic. There seem to be cheap mic-preamps that I can get to solve this, but they don’t give great results.

So I’m wondering - what would I need to turn my computer into a decent recording interface? I don’t have a good sound card, so would I need some external or possibly even a new sound card?

(At the moment all I really want to record is acoustic/my amp/vocals)

Basically, I’d like to know what my best options are, when I have a budget of about £300 ($600 ish).

Would something like this be any good?
Well, you can get a USB mixer, and plug the mic (s) into that.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-8USB-Mixer-with-USB-and-DSP?sku=630166

That's a good one to start with, and it comes with Cubase LE, the software you would need to edit your music. There are a couple of mixers like these for cheap prices, so I would recommend you check them out. Hope this helps!

Edit: The interface you put up would work, but it's more expensive than the mixer and doesn't have as many inputs. Keep checking around for stuff similar to this, you might might find something you like.
Last edited by GNRjungle87 at May 29, 2008,
I'd rather have an interface than that mixer... why does he need lots of inputs? And anyway, you can plug the mic into the Micro BR, it justs needs a 1/8" adaptor to fit that tiny mic port.

As far as interfaces go , what's your budget ?
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
I'd rather have an interface than that mixer... why does he need lots of inputs? And anyway, you can plug the mic into the Micro BR, it justs needs a 1/8" adaptor to fit that tiny mic port.

As far as interfaces go , what's your budget ?

It doesn't deem good results though, apparently.

My budget overall is about £300/$600
for $600 you can get a Tascam FW-1082 MIDI/Audio interface/control board which is a nice product if you plan on doing more than a few tracks. This means you can automate your tracks, mix and master quicker and use less features on screen without the mouse.

Also theres the MOTU 8pre 16x12 FireWire Audio Interface and if you need other parts other than an interface such as monitors and cables/stands theres the Presonus Firebox kit

Interfaces bypass your stock sound card so you should not need to upgrade it. The interface is used for recording and playback.

Presonus is a well known brand and many like their products.

I dont know if you have mics and such but if not, dont spend too much on an interface. Save enough cash for a nice mic as well.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 29, 2008,
Quote by Tomaz24
It doesn't deem good results though, apparently.

My budget overall is about £300/$600

Yeah, that is true...

I'd be tempted to go for a cheaper, two input interface, like the Onxy Satellite, and spend some of the rest of the money on a decent large diaphragm condenser mic, which will work nicer for acoustic and vocals. Something like a Rode NT1A or a Studio Projects B1.
There is poetry in despair.