I've been using Rotosound strings (9's) up to now and quite like them but they don't seem as slippery/silky as other strings when it comes to sliding from one note to another... or perhaps they are just getting sticky over time and need cleaning?

Are some strings slipperier than others?

get some of this.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
I think it usually depends on what theyre made of. Nylon are like hell to "grip" lol.
Quote by Jackolas
edgespear, driving great ideas again. Sir, you pwn.

Gear:
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul, PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 Floyd Amethyst
Amp: Peavey 6505, Eleven Rack
You no u can use those little tubs of vaseline to oil ur strings too. costs less than a pound
Quote by XianXiuHong
And ruin your fretboard...

Funny that. I've been using it for years and my fretboard is fine. If u can use the stuff on cracked lips i dont think its going to harm wood. What do u think is in that fast frets stuff thats so special
Quote by Orethor
Funny that. I've been using it for years and my fretboard is fine.

Shows what you know.

The vaseline will get into the pores of your fretboard.
Using Vaseline is fine as long as you clean it extra carefully and make sure every ounce is gone. My main concern with vaseline is that on a hot day it can melt out and become a "sticky" problem :P

Anyone tried Linseed Oil?
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
The threadstarter is NOT asking about lubrication of strings, he's asking about the strings themselves. Let's not confuse the issue any further here ok?
geetarmanic, some strings are far more slippery than others are. Compare a set of flat wounds to a standard set of strings once. The flat's will feel much smoother and slippery under your fingertips than the standards will. Same goes for coated strings. Elixers and D'Addario coated strings are more slippery than non-coated strings.
New, standard, non-coated strings are more slippery than old worn corroded strings also.
Keep your strings clean and use a quality set and they will play and feel nice all the time.
Hey dude string lubrication will affect the slipperyness of the strings themselves so i think our points are perfectly valid.
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
Yeah but he's talking about stock strings out of the box, not what he can do to make them slippier.
Brad

Black Schecter Omen 6
Mitchell MD-100S Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112 with JJ's and V30
Roland Micro Cube
Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde
Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ
*Soon to Come*
Jackson USA SL2H
Peavey 6505+
Thanks, guys...i'll start by looking at Elixer and D'Addario coated strings as suggested above.

Is there any actual disadvantage to coated strings... for example, fingers slipping when doing strings bends or cost? Thanks.
If you get used to it you'll be fine. Practice gripping the strings better, it'll pay off if you ever switch back to uncoated strings.

Also, I recommend GHS Fast Fret like danielrobbyshor said. Keeps your strings in check and gives them this nice twangy sound for some reason as well.
Quote by plucky duck
arnt scandinavians all albino or am i mistaken? apologies if i am

Quote by cocodrilo83
logic is not always right
I play Elixer Nanoweb (I think that's what it's called) and they slide a lot easier than the other strings I had on previously. They also last a lot longer.
the main dilemma with coated strings is that some people perceive a darker/muted tone compared to regular uncoated strings. personally i prefer uncoated strings as they're less expensive and my hands don't sweat too much. personal preference really so i suggest buying a pack of each and trying them out on two different guitars if possible to see which ones you like.