Could you do brian may (red special) wiring with humbuckers?

Could you use the on/off switches instead of coil splitting?

Thanks
It would be possible to use humbuckers, 3 I assume, and then wire them up with individual on/off switches. It should also be possible to wire up the individual phase switches, but you're going to need a lot of room if you plan on doing that. Also, if you're wiring them in series, which is what Brian May did with his Tri-Sonic pups, you'll probably only want one volume and one tone control, as that is the way that makes the most sense generally. I actually rewired a strat copy doing this sort of setup earlier this year, and I think humbuckers are a good choice, as you should still be able to get a good output even when your pickups are out of phase with one another. To answer the bit about coil splitting, if you want a Brian May sound, I would definitely not recommend it. His pickups are somewhat unusual, as they have a bit more output than most single coils, so coil tapping would just weaken the signal, and make any out of phase combos sound terrible most likely. The general schematic I used when I wired mine up was this:
http://www.brianmaycentral.net/wiring.gif
Hope this helps.
Haven't you heard?

It's a battle of words
The "Brian May" style wiring is essentially just the option to wire your pickups in parallel or series, and then to put them out of phase. You could even make them series/split/parallel, if you're willing to use a seperate toggle switch (instead of a push pull pot so you don't have to change the appearance of your guitar.)

Definitely can achieve that with humbuckers.
Check out the "humbucker wiring mods" at guitarelectronics.com.

If you can figure out exactly what you want, I can help you.
Thanks for the great replies ive go a pretty good idea on what to do now
Thanks
Not to be picky or anything, but the Brian May style is series only. Although it is possible to do series/parallel switching with some other additions. I only say this in case you were looking to replicate his setup, if not, being able to do parallel wiring can give you some interesting options too.
Haven't you heard?

It's a battle of words
Alright
This is extremely ambitous
But,

I'm going to be having a motherbucker (quadbucker) a lil 59 (humbucker) and a p-rail (humbucker)

This means that there are 8 coils
I am planning to have a :
phase on/off switch (per coil)
coil on/off switch
A tone knob per pickup (not per coil)
A vol knob per pickup (")
A 6 way rotary knob for : neck, neck-mid, mid, mid-bridge, bridge, and all
Series/Parrallel switch
Its gonna take up loads of room but its gonna be worth it

Any thoughts ?
Last edited by jakuknown at May 29, 2008,
Quote by jakuknown
Any thoughts ?
yeah, just one. put all 8 of those coils in series, and the inductance will be enormous. mud. but various combinations of some of them might lead to interesting tones.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by jakuknown
Shall i not the the parrallell/series switch then?
Thanks

You made a new thread about this just 10 hours ago.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=871361

Now you're bumping this one.
Do you realize how incredibly lame and spammy that is?

*reported*

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
That thread is completely different
Thats about the pickups themselves
This is about the brian may wiring
Theres nothing about parallel switches in the other one

Thanks