Yesterday I broke the bank for a Roland Microcube RX amp (http://www.roland.com/products/en/MICRO_CUBE_RX/features.html). I went into the store planning on spending $100-150 and ended up dropping $280 for this.

I'm trying to justify the purchase - and I think I'm getting there as it was pretty fun just messing around with the effects and the drum machine - but more experienced opinions would help ease my conscience.

The way I look at it this amp is like having a bunch of pedals (not sure how many, but it comes with 6 special effects so lets say 6?) and a drum machine. My distortion pedal was like $60 so assuming this thing is like 6 pedals it easily justifies the cost.

How big is the difference though between an actual pedal and the amp effects on the microcube? Considering I just play in my apartment - not with a band or gigs or w/e I'm guessing the difference would be pretty negligible.

The drum machine is pretty fun too, but I have no idea how the built in feature compares to buying a separate machine.

Hope I bought the right amp given how much I had to shell out for it! Seemed to be the most-recommended.
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
The Microcube will sound a lot better than the DS1 through a bog-standard practice amp because it's designed to mimic the sounds of the actual amplifiers themselves.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The cubes distortion sounds alot better than pedals, but the effects are best left to pedals, as there is no footswitch.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by steven seagull
The Microcube will sound a lot better than the DS1 through a bog-standard practice amp because it's designed to mimic the sounds of the actual amplifiers themselves.

Very true. Plus, consider that your new Roland is built like a tank. I defy you to break it. (Not that you'd try.) Pedals, dependin on wat pedal from which company, are often less reliable than an amp cuz they are often thrown carelessly down on the floor with a lil force. So, this way you won't be buyin a new pedal if your friend abuses it.
Interesting. So I might as well shelve my ds pedal for now and just use the amp effects? Haven't tried plugging it into the amp yet but by the sounds of it it'd be pointless, and less wires/cords is always good (i use ac adapter on the pedal so its another plug-in plus another cord).

I can live without being able to flick effects on/off with a foot switch. Considering how many things there are to play with I'd need a ridiculous pedal board to control it with my feet anyways

Kinda sucks that I spent around $100 for pedal/adapter/cord and now it'll sit in the closet but I guess that's life. I'll hang onto it in case I get another amp sometime down the road I guess
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack