Yesterday, I was playing guitar with a friend of mine. I threw around some random Metallica riffs, so he started playing the tapping solo to One. His solo sounded really clear and a hell of a lot better than mine, so I looked over to see what he was doing. Turns out, he turned his pick sideways and used the pick to tap instead of his finger. The resulting noise was very crisp and clear. Does anyone else use their pick to substitute for right hand tapping?

I gotta try this out when I get home today.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
Sharing is caring. *holds out hands*
*inserts penis?*
Yeah, it's actually quite common. You can usually tap a lot faster when you do it that way.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
i use my fingernail. i'm too lazy to cut my right hand, so my fingernail just started hitting it. does good enough for me.
O O

___
The technique of pick tapping was developed by Joe Satriani. It isn't for everyone. But some people like it. I find it lazy myself cuz you never develop the strength in the finger you'd normally tap with. By the way, if look at a good Metallica tab for "One", it should say that it's tapped with a pick. One of the few songs that Kirk Hammet does that.
That's how I do it. I learned that trick by watching the great Randy Rhoads. He was the first that I saw do that.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
It depends on the tone you're looking for. A pick tap sounds different, as you no doubt found out, than a finger tap. Sometimes using the pick may sound awkward (for instance if you're tapping through a punchy neck pickup.), sometimes it's necessary for super fast licks or for a little extra bite.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at May 29, 2008,
I'd say learn to tap with a pick, but don't rely on it - learn to use your fingers aswell.

There's many things you just can't pull off tapping with a pick, for example many tapping solos are a lot easier if you're using two fingers on your right hand, the picked alternative leading you to jump all over the place.

Oh, and of course tapping on as many strings, as possible, at once - is win.
i like to use my fingers, i just like the sound and tone a lot better. sounds much warmer and mellow to me.
So there we are, pick tapping for the fast and more precise stuff
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
So there we are, pick tapping for the fast and more precise stuff

Well not necessarily for FASTER stuff but yea..
Quote by Metallist65
The technique of pick tapping was developed by Joe Satriani. It isn't for everyone. But some people like it. I find it lazy myself cuz you never develop the strength in the finger you'd normally tap with. By the way, if look at a good Metallica tab for "One", it should say that it's tapped with a pick. One of the few songs that Kirk Hammet does that.

i think he used fingers in cunning stunts though...i use my pick on higher frets
I only use the pick technique when I have to go really fast or sometimes if it's on the really high frets, as it's easier to be accurate on those frets with a pick. In general though, I prefer the tone of finger tapping.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay