I recently put a deposit on a twin reverb (tough decision been that and an AC30!) so now im after an overdrive pedal in the next week or two. I've been leaning towards the Fulltone OCD, but after read a thread a couple of pages down I'm not so sure. I've also been looking at a Maxon OD808 and Crowther Hot Cake.
So really I'm just looking for opinions on those pedals and some alternatives. I want to keep my set up sounding like a tele into a twin, so i don't want something that will 'mask' my tone. I'd be willing to spend over £100, just don't go too crazy
The Twin doesn't particularly like the OCD. The sound is kind of harsh.

When I tried the OD808, it didn't really do anything. Kind of like there was nothing to overdrive.

I have never used a Hot Cake.

I use the Keeley modded Boss pedals (SD-1 and BD-2) and they work well.
Use Boss pedals with a Fender. Sides workin really well with that and Peaveys, they're built better than most pedals. The only other type of pedals that compare are Ibanez pedals, which cost more. So, for the money, Boss are great.
Quote by Metallist65
Use Boss pedals with a Fender. Sides workin really well with that and Peaveys, they're built better than most pedals. The only other type of pedals that compare are Ibanez pedals, which cost more. So, for the money, Boss are great.
Erm, no... Not only, IMO, do Boss sound crap, but they have crap bypass and a big reputation among noobs I find...

Get a Catalinbread Silver Kiss OD. You will NOT regret it.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Metallist65

Seeing as ive got the money to spend, I was think of going for something a bit more high end than boss, no offence. I mgiht check out the Keeley modded ones though.

EDIT: MrCarrot, do you know anywhere that stocks them in the, UK? A quick google hasnt brought up much.
Last edited by scott__ at May 29, 2008,
To keep the Fender tone, how about a Toadworks 'Lil Leo? The Tech 21 Sansamp Blonde should be worth a try, too.
i would say a ibanez ts-9, if you dont like it get it modded

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I used a Barber tone pump on my twin for quite a few years. I thought it was the perfect fit for that amp. Plus it has two stages so its basically two pedals.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Proco RAT

I used a Vintage RAT with my twin and it was really fantastic. In general twins take pedals well, and the rat is a special case. Awesome sound. And, it's pretty reasonably priced too and simple to use, yet versatile.
Quote by scott__
Seeing as ive got the money to spend, I was think of going for something a bit more high end than boss, no offence. I mgiht check out the Keeley modded ones though.

EDIT: MrCarrot, do you know anywhere that stocks them in the, UK? A quick google hasnt brought up much.
I've seen people import them for a total cost of something like £120? Consensus seems that it's a beautiful sounding pedal and worth it.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i have used a marshall shredmaster in to a twin and it sounded insanely good...
but good luck trying to find one (the new marshall pedals are ***t)

tube screamers are fairly transparent for a SRV sort of thing

and tubedriver=yum but$$$

what sort of music are we making here anyway??
Shut up and play your guitar!
The butler tube driver wasn't all that good of fit for my twin.It does excell with the Rivera tho.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by MrCarrot
Get a Catalinbread Silver Kiss OD. You will NOT regret it.

This.
I got mine for about £105 with shipping from an eBay shop. The 3 band EQ is very sensitive so you can totaly personalise the sound, because the Fender's quite bright you might want to cut some Highs. And then you could push the mids so the sound is close to a Tubescreamer.
I never considered a twin a quite bright amp. Sorry
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp

Wow, really? It's the brightest amp I've ever owned...

TS, try a Fulldrive II. I had one for a while when I had my Twin, and they got along well.
Quote by modernp

Well i was only giving an example of what you could do with the Silverkiss' EQ. it's a really versitile OD.
The Twin Reverb is pretty much for staying clean through anything, right? Or am I thinking of the regular Twin?

It's going to take a hell of a lot to get that amp to break up, so I would just skip overdrives, and go with a Box Of Rock or something.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
The twin has a ton of headroom but it does sound great with overdrive pedals. Thats whats nice about a twin it does accept a lot of pedals real well.
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp
The twin has a ton of headroom but it does sound great with overdrive pedals. Thats whats nice about a twin it does accept a lot of pedals real well.

I was under the impression that it was nearly impoissible to get them to break up.

Ah well, I bet that sounds like pure secks. An overdriven Twin.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Yeah, they take some serious pushing to break up. At nearly full volume, with the bridge pickup, if i seriously dig into the strings i can get i tiny bit of overdrive, but at that volume its just not practical...
And thanks for the help guys, I went into town to try a few and I think I'm pretty much settled on a Fulldrive II, tried it with a DRRI and it sounded great.
http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=14

I've heard this is a particularly great pedal. Ranges from clean boost to a sort of fuzz distortion, and pretty much whatever overdrive sound in between you want. Less of a mid boost than the tubescreamer gets, more Colorsound Power Boost than Tubescreamer...

EDIT: but, ah, you've decided, nevermind.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay