I have humbuckers and they hum just as bad as my strat copy. Is it just because the guitar sucks or what?
Feedback and hum are 2 different things...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
it sounds like they are either no grounded or badly grounded.

I have the same problem with my les paul. Wont be fixing until i get new pickups tho. Effort! ahah.

Check that the (black i think) wire is soldered to the bridge.

(correct me if i'm wrong UG)
My guitar is an epiphone g310. I was going to buy a g400 but i found this one at the local music store for like half the price of the g400 so i decided to buy it then sell it when i wanted a g400. I didnt know there was a difference in feedback and hum. But with mine it will start to hum as soon as i turn the volume on, but then after maybe 10 seconds it will start to like scream.
I can turn the gain to 4 and turn the volume to like 4 or 5 and it will do it. Or i can turn the gain to 10 and volume to 3 and it will do it. So could it be my amp cable? Its not that old(only 6-7 months) but it cheap and probably sucks.
also there is a difference between hum, controlled feedback (good), and bad feedback

Hum, sounds like an light electrical current
Feedback (good) is the return tone of ur guitar slowly fading in

feedback bad, Squeeks, like when people knock microphgones, or as soon as u stop playing ur guitar a big whistle comes through,
and other bad sounds that a terrible
Quote by djgbsbj
I can turn the gain to 4 and turn the volume to like 4 or 5 and it will do it. Or i can turn the gain to 10 and volume to 3 and it will do it. So could it be my amp cable? Its not that old(only 6-7 months) but it cheap and probably sucks.

yeah it may be the lead just try a new one no harm, and all leads come with lifetime warranty,

also dont face ur amp when playing and keep a distance from it see if that helps abit
Quote by djgbsbj
I have humbuckers and they hum just as bad as my strat copy. Is it just because the guitar sucks or what?

Your guitar probably isn't grounded. The noise should subside whenever you touch the tone knobs, strings, bridge or any other metal pieces connected to the guitar's electrical circuit. If it doesn't, then grounding is your problem.

First, what model is the guitar in question and is it a fixed, floating or strat style bridge.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Epiphone g310, fixed bridge. And im not sure if its good or bad feedback. Im pretty sure it is feedback and not hum. Its like a high pitched scream that starts after about 10 or 15 seconds. And this is if i just let it ang from the strap. When i touch the strings it stops. I havent tried the tone knobs or the bridge.
While im on the topic is the g310 even worth having? I think the action is great but the pups seem a liitle wierd. Also the bolt on neck seems to kind of defeat the purpose of an sg.
Quote by djgbsbj
Epiphone g310, fixed bridge. And im not sure if its good or bad feedback. Im pretty sure it is feedback and not hum. Its like a high pitched scream that starts after about 10 or 15 seconds. And this is if i just let it ang from the strap. When i touch the strings it stops. I havent tried the tone knobs or the bridge.

If it subsides when you touch the strings, then there's no problem. Humbuckers don't eliminate electromagnetic interference, they reduce it. The entire electrical circuit of your guitar is subject electromagnetic interference and this doesn't get canceled by the pickups. When you touch the strings you act as a shield against electromagnetic interference and thus it gets quieter, hence why most guitars have a ground wire running to the bridge.

When you point the guitar away from the amp, does it still produce the squeal after 10-15 seconds? If it doesn't, then it's standard feedback - there is no problem.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
The 310 probably has the same overpowered pickups that came in a LP100 I have. Really hot and cheap pickups dont work to well. What is the volume on your guitar set at? And how many pedals are you using that can add to the noise?
I usually have the volume on the guitar at 10. No pedals. If i stand facing away from the amp it wont do it at the same volume, but if i turn it up it will do it. When i touch the strings it stops but someone said something about touching the bridge and that doesnt make it stop. And the guitar sound great really distorted or totally clean. But i cant get a good sound somewhere in between. Like light distortion doesnt go so well.
Turn your guitars volume and see how it does. The ones that were in my LP 100 were way to much for a little SS amp. The pickups in it now are much lower output but sound way better.
I think i am going to sell it. Even with the volume turned down it still does it, just not as soon. And i have decided the clean and light distortion tone sucks on this guitar.
Quote by djgbsbj
I think i am going to sell it. Even with the volume turned down it still does it, just not as soon. And i have decided the clean and light distortion tone sucks on this guitar.

It sounds like your pickups have become microphonic. In which case would warrant a replacement.

A good test for microphonic pickups is to mute all the strings with your hand, select the pickup with the selector switch, and tap the pickup with a pencil or similar item. If you hear a clunk/clicking sound followed by the squeal, then your pickups are microphonic.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Most guitars will begin to feedback with the gain turned up you just stand there not playing anything and not deadening the strings. Play something or touch the strings no problem. And the plan to sell the special to buy the g400 wont work. The resale on the supercheap epis is next to nothing.