3 4%
Line 6
2 3%
Ibanez
0 0%
Other
6 9%
Voters: 67.
I need a good amp that can duplicate a good thrash/metalcore sound. I'm going for the same kinda sound as BFMV has on their new album. I know that Matt uses Peavy, and I'm the rhythm guitarist, but I've only got about $500-$600 to spend on one, and I'm looking for like a 150w head, not a combo.

I already have an Ibanez MIMX, which is really good amp and I like it. I could get its 150w head version for $400, but I also want to see what else is good in the world of metal amps
In that price range, most heads will suck...even used ones. Do you already have a cab. If not, forget about a stack. The Bugera 6260 (combo or stack) will be a solid bet for what you want.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
You DO NOT need 150 watts.
You don't even need 100 watts.

Get a USED 5150 combo which is a 60 watts valve 2x12 monster.#

edit: oh and poll is useless - don't generalise amps by brand or you'll walk out of the shop with a Marshall MG.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^^ This is true
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
5150, all the way. It'll give you the sound you want and they can be found used in your price range.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Randall could be ok. But really a peavey 5150/6505 combo is your best bet. Maybe you can find a used head or something, I'm not sure. But the Peavey will get you the best br00tal tone, even if it won't look as cool as a stack. If you already have a cabinet, sell it.
Quote by Yngwi3

edit: oh and poll is useless - don't generalise amps by brand or you'll walk out of the shop with a Marshall MG.

This.
Ibanez amps are altogether terrible. They do make one all tube amp, and that one isn't even anything special.

I voted Peavey considering the price.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Yngwi3

Whch happened to my gf, and now I have to use it . But it's one of the better MG's and I have a Blackhear Tube being shipped to me.
Quote by blind.quardian
randall rg50tc??

Yes the Randall RG50TC
small, tube, very metal, cheap
Get the 5150 Head or Ultra Plus 120 head if you can find one but the Ultras are hard to come by.

Also personal prefrence I prefer the tone of the head over the combo....
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at May 29, 2008,
We never established if he even has a cab yet. If not, a stack is completely out of the equation
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by Yngwi3

this is the most intelligent thing you will hear in this thread. DO THIS
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You NEED 100 watts. You NEED a 4x12.

I recommend getting whatever the hell you want. Also leave this forum and trust your ears. Tone is subjective.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Quote by Bloodshed
We never established if he even has a cab yet. If not, a stack is completely out of the equation

Bloodshed if you read his post it tells you what he is wanting...

"I need a good amp that can duplicate a good thrash/metalcore sound. I'm going for the same kinda sound as BFMV has on their new album. I know that Matt uses Peavy, and I'm the rhythm guitarist, but I've only got about $500-$600 to spend on one, and I'm looking for like a 150w head, not a combo."
Quote by ParryPerson
You NEED 100 watts. You NEED a 4x12.

I recommend getting whatever the hell you want. Also leave this forum and trust your ears. Tone is subjective.

1. too much headroom for a metal player would mean he'd have to get too loud to get any good distortion. So 100w might be a little overkill
2. In his price range any half stack he'd be able to get would be mediocre at best
3. we're just trying to help the TS get the best gear in his pricerange, so kindly stfu
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Dude you should go for a Randall.... i have one and compared it 2 all the other amps in its area.... like a marshal... the Randall is better than it.... you can get such a hardcore sound outa it if you like turn the middle down it sounds like death/black metal!!!! o yeh kirk Hammett from metallica uses them aswell
Quote by Wastman666
o yeh kirk Hammett from metallica uses them aswell

He HAS one, but none of Metallica's stuff has been recorded with Kirk's Randall. Also, don't generalise amps by brand.

I still stand by the 5150 combo.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by shredhead22
1. too much headroom for a metal player would mean he'd have to get too loud to get any good distortion. So 100w might be a little overkill
2. In his price range any half stack he'd be able to get would be mediocre at best
3. we're just trying to help the TS get the best gear in his pricerange, so kindly stfu

1: disagreed
2: agreed
3: agreed

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Short and sweet Dave
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

i still agree that a second-hand 5150 combo is probably the best bet, but that's more because it's one of the few decent high gainers under budget, not because it's not 100 watts...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

dangit...dave only backed me up 66.666666%
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22

you actually do want a lot of headroom for metal.
most of the gain and tone come from the pre amp tubes.
if you dont have enough headroom, the distortion won't be very tight, it will be muddy.

but anyways, 5150 combo all the way.
i love mine
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by shredhead22
dangit...dave only backed me up 66.666666%

eh, 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

man i hate meatloaf so much...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Bloodshed if you read his post it tells you what he is wanting...

"I need a good amp that can duplicate a good thrash/metalcore sound. I'm going for the same kinda sound as BFMV has on their new album. I know that Matt uses Peavy, and I'm the rhythm guitarist, but I've only got about $500-$600 to spend on one, and I'm looking for like a 150w head, not a combo."

Understood....but, the thing is, some kids come on here asking for a head in the 500-600 or whatever price range, and fail to remember that they need a cab to. It is a legit question I believe. I apologize if I'm coming across as ignorant
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
get the peavy they are all talking bout, i used a 5150 combo in a shop once and it is seriously awesome. loved it
Quote by Yngwi3
He HAS one, but none of Metallica's stuff has been recorded with Kirk's Randall. Also, don't generalise amps by brand.

I still stand by the 5150 combo.

dude i didnt even know he used em b4 i got the amp in the 1st place..... i though the amp was just fantastic.... i only found out hammett uses em like few days after n i wzs like.... coool....