Ok, I've been posting alot of "Acuraccy" and "Speed" threads without taking the time to think about what my problem actually is. My acuraccy is very low but, the problem comes when I start on a downstroke and move to a lower string on an up stroke. Ex. Downstroke on the G string to an Upstroke on the D string.

What could be causing this problem? My wrist? My arm? My shoulder? My pick!?

Keep in mind, though, I AM NOT asking you to fix my problems. What I AM asking for is basically a place to start on what to look for.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Quote by guitarist10

What could be causing this problem? My wrist? My arm? My shoulder? My pick!?

all of the above. seriously.
Quote by z4twenny
all of the above. seriously.

Wow. Thanks.

That's a perfectly natural problem that only gets fixed through practice. John Petrucci actually talks about it in Rock Discipline, and (I think) I've read about it in Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar. What you're talking about is called inside picking. My guess is that you haven't quite made your picking motion completely economical. When I recognize that I need to use inside picking, I'll try to keep my pick from moving too far past the plane of the string once I've plucked it. This makes the trip from higher string to lower string much shorter. I would suggest just spending like 10 minutes during your practice time doing nothing but inside picking, then spend another 10 minutes playing the same passage doing nothing but outside picking, which in the example that you posted would mean doing an upstroke on the G string and then a downstroke on the D string. I think that it comes down to control of your wrist more than anything, but your pick might have something to do with it. Good luck.
known as Jeff when it really matters
Quote by titopuente
That's a perfectly natural problem that only gets fixed through practice. John Petrucci actually talks about it in Rock Discipline, and (I think) I've read about it in Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar. What you're talking about is called inside picking. My guess is that you haven't quite made your picking motion completely economical. When I recognize that I need to use inside picking, I'll try to keep my pick from moving too far past the plane of the string once I've plucked it. This makes the trip from higher string to lower string much shorter. I would suggest just spending like 10 minutes during your practice time doing nothing but inside picking, then spend another 10 minutes playing the same passage doing nothing but outside picking, which in the example that you posted would mean doing an upstroke on the G string and then a downstroke on the D string. I think that it comes down to control of your wrist more than anything, but your pick might have something to do with it. Good luck.

Man! Excellent explanation! Much appriciated!!!

Is your guitar set up correctly ?
How is the action ?

Stop choking the guitar
Let the pickups and amp do their job
Last edited by Ordinary at May 29, 2008,