A good friend of mine started a band 5 years ago with 2 of his best friends. 4 years ago my brother joins the band as the lead vocalist, and I became the sound guy (not as a roadie that hooks up the PA, I'm a sound engineer by trade). From the point my brother joined the band, every member of the band got better at what they do has gotten better at what they do, except the bassist. He has, for all intents and purposes, gotten worse (developed a drug addiction, dropped out of college, stolen money from the band, blew out his amp and never bought a new one (using mine for past year) and has not improved musically). For the past year I've been writing his music for him during practices/jam sessions because he'd rather sit and play playstation than jam) This summer, the lead guitarist and the drummer called me up to come write music without the bassist there, and told me to write stuff at my level, not his. We proceeded to write 4 songs in 4 practices, and they made the decision to kick him out (finally) and replace him with me.

This sounds great, except they didn't tell the current bassist until after he found out about a huge show that we were invited to play(large venue in Manhattan, where major label and livenation reps will be attending) he wants that to be his last show. It came down to a vote and the band agreed to let him play that show. I had no problem with that, except that the band wants to play the 4 songs I wrote, which the current bassist is completly unable to play. The band now wants me to re-write versions of the new songs that the other guy can play.

my options are:

1. write dumbed-down versions of my songs, teach them to the other bassist, and not play the show

2. tell the band that if they want their old bassist, play their old songs

what should I do?
Traben Array
2x Tech21 Sansamp RBI Bass preamps
450w Power Amp
2x Gallien-Krueger 410
-
Handmade nylon-string classical guitar
-
Jackson DXMG Dinky
Line 6 Spider 2 250w combo
-
Various Lee Oskar and Honer harmonicas
-
Yamaha YPT-310
Why should they let the music suffer just to give some drug addict a farewell gig in a band he was never interested in???
Quote by Abunai X
Oh my God. I've only laughed out loud on this site about 4 tiems since I signed up.

You have just created a 5th.

Quote by cukd7x-a2-
OH. MY . GOD

for that you get the tower of lulz, with which you can reach the lulgods
Suggest to them that if they're using him, they should PROBABLY use the old songs, because they know he can play them.

IF, for some reason, they refuse, rewrite the songs so that the old bassist can play them.
Once you start playing the songs, you can use the original basslines that you wrote, just because you change it for him, doesn't mean you can't change them up again when you start playing them!
Just try and keep them as close to the original bassline as possible!
Option 2. If they want the other guy to play, they're going to have to deal with all his short comings. Don't get taken advantage of.
WOW... an unfocused bass player with a drug problem...imagine that!

Dish
(developed a drug addiction, dropped out of college, stolen money from the band, blew out his amp and never bought a new one (using mine for past year) and has not improved musically). For the past year I've been writing his music for him during practices/jam sessions because he'd rather sit and play playstation than jam)

...why do you feel you owe this guy anything at all?

If the band voted to let him play the show, they're idiots, but you can't exactly overrule them in a democratic set-up. However, unless it's really essential that the band plays good material at this show (it does seem to be), tell them that if they want this train-wreck playing, they'll have to deal with the consequences.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Damascus
...why do you feel you owe this guy anything at all?

If the band voted to let him play the show, they're idiots, but you can't exactly overrule them in a democratic set-up. However, unless it's really essential that the band plays good material at this show (it does seem to be), tell them that if they want this train-wreck playing, they'll have to deal with the consequences.

Absolutely agreed.
They voted to let him do it, so it's their problem. Let them sort it out and just do the best job you can on the desk on the night.
^ I'm with Damascus and SlackerBabbath.

If I were you I would remind your band of all of the bad and irresponsible things this bass player has done. I would say that I owe him nothing, especially considering his long history of poor treatment. I would say that I will not invest my time and energy into helping someone who has been a complete asshole and who should be able to play these parts but can't because of his own incompetence.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.