I've never played them but I've heard good and bad things. I hear you can get amazing vibrato but it's harder to get the exact note.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Easier control for bends and vibrato, difficult to play due to lack of tactile feedback and intonation control. A flat fretboard gives me all the control I need for now, hence I don't need scalloped frets.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
well i would rather not have scalloped frets but i rly love the other features on the YJM signatures.. anyone know a guitar that is exactly the same exept that it doesnt have scalloped frets? :P
WOOOWWW , DUDE........... NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!
Its a preference thing. Personally, I can't stand them, but I know other people love them and hate to play a guitar without them. If your looking to buy a guitar with scalloped frets I think its absolutely necessary to try it out or have previously played on something with scallops before purchase.
Quote by RazorAlex93
well i would rather not have scalloped frets but i rly love the other features on the YJM signatures.. anyone know a guitar that is exactly the same exept that it doesnt have scalloped frets? :P

Yes, a Fender Stratocaster - swap in DiMarzios
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
The interview with Yngwie he talks about the scalloping of his frets. He says its actually harder to play faster but it gives him more control of the string...I think I'd seen the interview from Guitar World. Never played on one myself.
Im learning black star and some of the bends on it are pretty painful on .09 gauge strings. Like 1-1/2 bend on the 21st fret. With scalloped frets you could press in and bend up less to achieve the same effect with less effort.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
I find scalloped frets the stupitest thing ever invented.

Just my opinion..
I think they are really tasty!

Oh wait...

I'm thinking of scalloped potatoes...

I've never had any experience playing a guitar with scalloped frets.
I played that sig in a shop...i found that the scallops allowed me to play much faster :S, -and- still with more control than usual. Maybe it's just the way I play compared to Yngwie.

It wasn't so hot for rhythm, imo, because of differences in pressure across strings...but for lead, absolutely killer.

EDIT:

Jesus christ. Someone who bought one of those wrote -this- review:

Reviewer's Play Style: Punk, Rock, Alternative.

Great guitar. it has made a difference in my life. I love the way it sounds for punk and alternative. I suggest getting it if you play punk or alternative.

Someone bought a $1500 guitar to play punk and 'alternative'...Oh man. I think I'm going to cry.
Last edited by Mazzakazza at May 29, 2008,
Quote by Mazzakazza

Someone bought a $1500 guitar to play punk and 'alternative'...Oh man. I think I'm going to cry.

Whatever. Who really cares? It really is kind of dumb but, hey, if you like a guitar you like a guitar.
I have a strat with scalloped frems, and I love it. Not because it affects my playing, but they just look nice.
Quote by DeanESPJackson
The interview with Yngwie he talks about the scalloping of his frets. He says its actually harder to play faster but it gives him more control of the string...I think I'd seen the interview from Guitar World. Never played on one myself.

I was going to say that very thing "there's too much wood!" says Yngwie about flat fretboards.
I've played on a few and owned one for a a few years

The thing I liked about the scalloped neck is it makes legato and picked notes blend together really well, not to mention that kind of stuff just jumps out of the guitar with very little effort on a scalloped neck.
Yngwie just plays damn fast. I really don't see him having a better vibrato than other guitarists who play with regular frets. I think its more preference than anything
Quote by -=Croatoan=-
Not really... you get more control over the string but according to yngwie it is harder to play fast

I think that's just Yngwie being a douchebag, trying to make it seem like he's doing more work than he really is.
Would scalloped frets make much difference to a guitar with XJumbo frets?

I have seen Strats with scalloped frets but they seem to have smaller fret wire. Don't touch the fretboard much on my guitars, but didn't like the feeling when my fingers touched the fretboard on the Tele I played.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
I used scalloped frets, and it feels alot faster and you don't feel the fretboard, but you can definitely feel the naturalness of the string...I don't know how to describe it.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by Kai07
I used scalloped frets, and it feels alot faster and you don't feel the fretboard, but you can definitely feel the naturalness of the string...I don't know how to describe it.

What size frets do you have on that guitar? I don't usually feel the fret fretboard on my guitar, so would scalloping make any difference?
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Quote by Remonster
I think that's just Yngwie being a douchebag, trying to make it seem like he's doing more work than he really is.

He's right about the control factor

You can really get under the string and grab it fully
Quote by Remonster

I don't think so. You have to maintain a discrete amount of pressure with as much consistency as possible otherwise you'll change the intonation of a note. There's less tactile feedback, hence there's less feeling to judge your position on the fretboard. A miss on a flat fretboard can be easily compensated just by the width of the finger itself. On a scalloped neck, if you miss, you go right by the string.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Don't Jems have scalloped frets starting at like the 19th fret or something?
Quote by Aikoe
Don't Jems have scalloped frets starting at like the 19th fret or something?

Yep - I don't find it detrimental or helpful in any case. Playing up that high requires a good amount of accuracy anyways.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH