Carvin makes really quality products. However you can't really compare the sound to a strat as its apples and oranges. As far as quality they are on par with Fender.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Someone recommends a Carvin Bolt every time someone starts a "wannabuystrat" thread. I expect they are superior - but it doesn't have Fender written on the headstock
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Quote by pEdAl2
Someone recommends a Carvin Bolt every time someone starts a "wannabuystrat" thread. I expect they are superior - but it doesn't have Fender written on the headstock

Ha maybe that's where I heard about them. Anyone try a Carvin Bolt out and compare it to a strat?
Quote by ValoRhoads
Carvin makes really quality products. However you can't really compare the sound to a strat as its apples and oranges. As far as quality they are on par with Fender.

Nope, even their lowest end model the Bolt surpasses a USA Strat in terms of quality.
Quote by Eric 666
Nope, even their lowest end model the Bolt surpasses a USA Strat in terms of quality.

How similar in sound and tone would it be to a strat?
completely different, but not in a bad way. It's all a matter of personal preferance.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by harrisam
How similar in sound and tone would it be to a strat?

The Carvin pickups are a little warmer than those in the MIA strat.

It's really a matter of preference if you like the pickups or not.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
The Carvin pickups are a little warmer than those in the MIA strat.

It's really a matter of preference if you like the pickups or not.

Does Carvin do hand wound pickups?
Quote by harrisam
Does Carvin do hand wound pickups?

No, they will not allow you to get other brands either if you order it from the factory.

And as said earlier, a Carvin is better built than Fender, but it will get a different sound.