I was wondering, what are they?

Is it something to do with where the amp's placed, or the voltage. . .?

My amp has a massive buzz, i didn't really notice it before. But it came up really loudly when i was recording something.

Help is much appreciated
x
We're just dancing
We're just hugging,singing, screaming, kissing, tugging
On the sleeve of how it used to be
dont forget grounding issues

BTW, how are you recording?
that could be your problem...
I've seen some crazy recording setups that people thought were good to use but turns out they were not....and the result was either gear damage or crap quality in the recordings.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 29, 2008,
The electric from the wall can add alot to it. The electric we get is pretty dirty and fluctuates alot. And there is plenty of noise generating stuff in everybodies house. Cheaper poorly shielded cables will add to it.
Quote by moody07747
dont forget grounding issues

BTW, how are you recording?
that could be your problem...

Well, it's quite awkward.
I have a mic connected to the amp (it's too quiet on it's own) then the amp is connected to the PC. I had it on top of a chest of drawers.

what do you mean by grounding issues?
We're just dancing
So you ran a mic to the input of a guitar amp...?
that could be a problem, It's best to use a mic preamp to boost the mic levels. MF has a $30 ART unit on sale. It would be best go get that.

however you then say you ran a line from another amp to your PC...though what output? and what input on the computer?

If you dont have an audio interface you are probably running to the line in on your stock sound card which was never made to record so that will give buzzing in your recordings.

I suggest a proper interface iwth XLR input and mic preamp.
The m-audio fast track USB is a nice little budget unit which most people get when they start out.

for future recording questions the best form to use is the R&R section. Theres stickies and videos there for everyone and its suggested that you read/watch them.

I think your problem isn't the amp, its just the way you are wiring to record which is causing the buzzing.
Oh, i see
I had it connected to the mic input on the PC, from the speaker output on my amp. It was the only way i could get a sound on Audacity.

I kinda figured connecting it like that was a bit dodgy, but it was recording so i figured it was okay. I thought the buzz was just to do with the amp.

Yeah, i do need a new mic right now anyway since mines is ancient. I'll look up a pre-amp. If you can't tell already, electronics ain't my thing :P
We're just dancing
A speaker output is for a speaker ONLY
running this to your PC card or anything other than the proper speaker will cause damage or distortion in audio.

I suggest getting an interface and mic and just mic your amp.

If you get an interface you dont need a preamp, interfaces have preamps on board and an interface bypasses your stock sound card giving better quality.

The buzzing is most likley from running out the speaker out.
I've seen this done many times and you are just lucky nothing burned out.

Read though Tweak's Guide linked in my sig. Most members find it very helpful.
To get a feel for whether the outlet you primarily use has poor grounding and generates buzz, try different outlets around the house / apartment. Three pronged outlets are typically better grounded than two pronged ones, but that is only if the electrician who ran the power actually did it correctly.

The outlet I have my amp plugged into has a fair amount of buzz, but others in the house do not.

The other thing I noticed is that when my instrument cable is coiled up, it seems to generate more buzz as well. I'm going to guess that a better shielded cable would make this less of an issue though.
^ heres the thing though. She didn't really notice much buzz...until she put the audio into the computer.
if the buzz isnt bad when you are just playing the amp, then the problem isnt grounding or anything like that.
Running a speaker output to a sound card can and will cause buzzing like this.

also after listening to the songs on her profile I can safely say the buzzing is the wiring, not the amp or grounding.
Last edited by moody07747 at May 29, 2008,
Thanks, that's fantastic help

I'll check out Tweak's guide

And hopefully no longer be in danger of blowing anything up. . .
We're just dancing