Hey guys,

I've been looking to buy my first synth and have noticed that some of them have 32-voice polyphony whilst others have 64. Could anyone please explain the difference between these two ? And please keep it pretty down to earth because I'm really not experienced with this type of stuff.
I'd imagine it means that on the 32 you can play as many as 32 notes at any one time.

On the 64 one.. 64 notes.

Course I don't know any better than you, I'm just guessing by the words.
Quote by Dizzy-D
Hey guys,

I've been looking to buy my first synth and have noticed that some of them have 32-voice polyphony whilst others have 64. Could anyone please explain the difference between these two ? And please keep it pretty down to earth because I'm really not experienced with this type of stuff.

32 voices at 1 time VS 64 voices at 1 time.

It won't matter too much for playing, but if you get into sequencing your better of with more polyphony.
32 voices?
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
It isn't by chance bits? 32bit and 64bit?
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
It isn't by chance bits? 32bit and 64bit?

No it has nothing to do with bits. click on the link in that last post. it's explained quite well there.
^ guitarmunky is right. if you're doing sequencing entirely off the keyboard and nothing else you'll want more polyphony. you might think 32 voices/sounds is a lot until you realize on one note you might have a bass drum, snare, high hat, crash, bass, umpteen different synths and samples. also if you decide to put 2 or 3 drum beats together (which i do quite often) that can easily start to suck up 20 or more voices leaving very little little room for other instruments and synth. also be aware that 1 voice is taken up for the entire length of the sample, so if a crash lasts for 2 quarter beats then for those 2 quarter beats you've got 1 voice taken up. if you're just using it for recording and can record multiple tracks then 32 should be fine.