OK, I'm looking into getting a new amp in the next few months. I'm gonna be able to go up to around £300 on this, and I'm after something which will be versatile, as I play just about anything - I want nice cleans, a good general rock/punk tone for my band, but also a good metal tone because I enjoy playing metal but I guess this will mostly be covered by my pedals. So basically, what's the best amp I could get for around this price which would have a nice tone and be good for playing gigs to around 200/300 people? I just want something which will be a lot better than my current Frontman, and better than the ****ty MGs I often have to gig with.

So far, I've looked at the Vox AD-50VT 212 and some kind of Line 6 Spider III (*flame shield*). Please don't just make stupid comments about the spider, I know a lot of people hate them here but comments from people who own one would be nice I'm gonna try these amps out before buying, I'm just looking for recommendations of what to try.

Thanks for any help!
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
I've got the AD30VT and I love it, and I can imagine the AD50 can only be better--higher quality speakers and 2x12, which is awesome. I love the features and the versatility, you can get so many sounds out of it.
You might try a Crate V Series 18 watt combo. I've played through a few and they sound pretty good. I'm not a metal guy so I've never unloaded a whole bunch of distortion onto them. But from what I've heard, pushing the gain all the way + distortion pedal = nice grit. It has a master volume too so you can push it without it getting too loud. It's also got a spring reverb. Reverb is always good.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
You might try a Crate V Series 18 watt combo. I've played through a few and they sound pretty good. I'm not a metal guy so I've never unloaded a whole bunch of distortion onto them. But from what I've heard, pushing the gain all the way + distortion pedal = nice grit. It has a master volume too so you can push it without it getting too loud. It's also got a spring reverb. Reverb is always good.

dont get em in the Uk, look at laneys, or used jcm900/800 on ebay
a used JCM for 300 euros?? man you guys got it good over there.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by TheProducer
I've got the AD30VT and I love it, and I can imagine the AD50 can only be better--higher quality speakers and 2x12, which is awesome. I love the features and the versatility, you can get so many sounds out of it.

Hmm, this is good to hear Is the AD30VT likely to be able to do gigs, or would the 50 be worth the extra?

Quote by VoodooCow229

This looks good, however does anyone know somewhere that sells these in the UK?

Thanks for the replies guys
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by Friendly Stoat
Hmm, this is good to hear Is the AD30VT likely to be able to do gigs, or would the 50 be worth the extra?

I think you'd need the 50 to do gigs. I've played my 30 with a drummer and it seems drowned out--especially if you use cleans a lot. Although, if you know there is always going to be a PA you could get away with it. Also, my drummer plays too hard and we were in a very closed room.
Quote by VoodooCow229
a used JCM for 300 euros?? man you guys got it good over there.

thats 300 POUNDS but still, a jcm under 300 is a bit of a stretch
Quote by lewis_grey
thats 300 POUNDS but still, a jcm under 300 is a bit of a stretch

dont hate me :[. im just a typical dumb american teenager.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by TheProducer
I think you'd need the 50 to do gigs. I've played my 30 with a drummer and it seems drowned out--especially if you use cleans a lot. Although, if you know there is always going to be a PA you could get away with it. Also, my drummer plays too hard and we were in a very closed room.

OK, I'll definetly consider the 50

Quote by lewis_grey
thats be 300 POUNDS but still, a jcm under 300 is a bit of a stretch

Yeah, I had a quick look and it doesn't look promising.

stephen_rettie, any Laney's in particular? I've looked but I have no idea which one would be best
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by VoodooCow229
dont hate me :[. im just a typical dumb american teenager.

no worries mate
Quote by lewis_grey
can i convince you to go tube? if so peavey valveking 112 is you're best bet

Yeah, I've been considering tubes too, that does look like a particularly good one actually! Thanks
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
The Valveking looks to be the favourite so far. Still considering a Spider though - can anyone give me a good opinion on one, from a decent amount of experience?
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by Friendly Stoat
The Valveking looks to be the favourite so far. Still considering a Spider though - can anyone give me a good opinion on one, from a decent amount of experience?

I don't know a lot, but if it was Valveking vs. Spider--Valveking, no questions asked.
Ok fair enough.
Thanks very much for the replies
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Well Sam, I myself have a valveking and I would have to rate it.

A Friendly 9/10.
Originally Posted by Kensai
Thx keine_lust, I probably would've missed the chili's if it wasn't for you

SCARECROW of UG's Gotham City
Try out:

Peavey Valveking

Laney VC30, assuming you got an OD pedal or something, can cut metal

Second hand JCM

Randall RG50TC

Vox AD50VT

Roland Cube 60