I can play the g major scale (starting at 3rd fret) fine its just that when i play the A note on the 2nd fret of string 4 the E&G strings vibrate. I read on this forum that it was probably sympathetic string vibrations and that muting is necessary, but i need to know how to mute the two strings and still play the rest of the scale smoothly. Any suggestions?
hybrid picking might work if you use your middle finger to hit the A while your palm mutes the G and pink/ring finger mute the E. my hand naturally curls when i hybrid pick so my pinky mutes the high e string unless of course im playing the high e string. maybe it will work for you too
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
What I do in that situation is not necessarily fret the note I want to play with the exact tip of my finger, rather a tiny bit further down (toward the palm, only about 2 mm). With that excess finger room, I just barely touch the string above so that it's muted. For strings below, if you just don't arch your finger on your fret hand as much, and rather rest it on the strings below on the fretboard, that works for me too.
We Rock With Our Cocks Out: UG Naked Club FTW!!

Quote by HeavenlyVirus
how many George Bushs does it take to fix the economy? -1
Hmm... The only thing I can think of would be to rest the palm of your pick hand on the Low E string after you are through playing the notes on that string and then for the B string, use the advice I gave above, which is to mute it with the fret hand by not arching so much and resting it on the strings below the one you're playing. When I'm running through the scale using those techniques, it seems to be working.

Quote by HeavenlyVirus
Thanks Lyingfromyou, I tried that and it works! Is this something i will have to get used to doing(muting with fret hand)? I am new to this been playing everyday for a month and a half!
It depends really, I mean, for some songs you'll have to try different techniques to get the sound you want. Plus, if you start getting into good habits now, they'll just occur naturally as you progress and develop as a player. Glad I could help, any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Quote by HeavenlyVirus