I apologize in advance for the long post - please be nice lol

Hello fellow axe-slingers of doom!
I'm new here and need a second opinion on something.

I've been playing guitar for about 6 years now and for the last 2 years i've been playing through my PC using a line6 guitarport, which is ok for doing home recordings and jamming over some of my fave tracks.
I'm currently attending college and they give me maintenance money every month, and with a part time job i started a month back i have quite a bit of cash to part with.

here's my dilemma: -
NEW Guitar: i'm looking to start a covers/function band with a couple of friends, i've been using my trusty epiphone les paul custom for the past 4 years and it's never let me down but lately it's kinda been dying so i'm just itching to get a guitar - somewhere in the £600 region

NEW amp: after using the guitarport for so long i'm getting tired of it and i find it a pain in the ass to practice cos it means using up lots of computer ram - i've been looking at a marshall DSL 401 - might be an idea.

I think the smart thing would be to get a new amp and just put my les paul in to a tech because i do love the sound of the guitar.

Thoughts and opinions????????
Go for the amp!
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
A new amp. There's no real contest there.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by GeorgeWFletcher
Get a new amp. It is unlikely that a tech will not be able to fix your guitar.

yeah, i was thinking that. it's a typical problem with epiphones i hear - the volume in the neck pickup[ is much lower than it used to be, the volume pots are crackly, the nut on the jack comes loose a lot - would that be a big job for a tech to sort?
right i quite fancy going for the amp, now i don't know a lot of manufacturers if i'm perfectly honest - i'm used to marshall,peavey and fenders - any suggestions??? keep in mind i only have £600 tops
£600 is quite a lot of money to play with What sort of sounds would you be looking to cover with it?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
You can get some seriously decent gear for £600. What kind of music are you going to be playing?
EDIT: Also say how important cleans are and how br00tal you want the distortion to go.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Last edited by SurfinWithSatch at May 29, 2008,
Well my main area i guess is hard rock and i love a variety of sounds. that being said i love the sound of mids - the scooped sounds really doesn't appeal to me, I'd like an amp that has the most serene clean sounds but can also go full blown hard rock/metal - basically a diverse amp that sounds good!

I'm starting a covers/function band and so my equipment will have to be pretty diverse e.g i think my next guitar should have coil taps

but yeah i have £600 and i want a combo - not really wanting the hassle of a half stack just now, just wanna keep things simple.
okay so here's the deal, a guy in my area is selling a JCM 800 2x12" 50watt Combo for £350 = should i go check it out or is that a bad move?
Amp.

I'm using the exact same guitar as you atm and what i'm going to do is get the pickups upgraded to the ones Slash has (under £200 including fitting). Obviously long term a new guitar would be the logical step however for now it has too be the amp every time. Especially if you are playing through your computer.

---

Just read your other post about the combo aswell...hell yeah go check it out! with 600 you could pay for the amp and get your epi upgraded and sorted out...sounds like a cracking deal fella!
Quote by robertscott
okay so here's the deal, a guy in my area is selling a JCM 800 2x12" 50watt Combo for £350 = should i go check it out or is that a bad move?

You should definitely check it out! I'm giving you *my opinion* and ultimately you should try out many different amps to find out what *you* like best but I would highly recommend the purchase of a JCM 800 combo over the DSL 401. I know I don't speak for everyone but I think that many people will agree.
The JCM's clean might not be as serene as you like, especially if it's only got one channel. Other than that it's a great amp for the price I'd reckon, definitely great for hard rock.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
that jcm800 is bound to be worth a look. other (new) options might be an orange rocker 30 combo or a laney lc50. if you're willing to go second-hand, an engl screamer, laney tt50, and marshall jvm (all combos) would probably be worth a look too.

Quote by Jamie.
I'm using the exact same guitar as you atm and what i'm going to do is get the pickups upgraded to the ones Slash has (under £200 including fitting). Obviously long term a new guitar would be the logical step however for now it has too be the amp every time. Especially if you are playing through your computer.

get handwound pickups instead. seriously. for the price of those duncans in the UK, you can do a lot better, if you ask me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?