I'm looking to replace the speakers in my cabs because the ones in it now are designed for blues and classic rock (Ashdown 120 watt speakers) and while I do play a good bit of classic rock and a little blues I play metal more than anything.

I would love some Celestion Vintage 30's but there is no way I am shelling out $110 a piece for speakers.

I play a lot of different stuff from Iron Maiden to Children of Bodom to Killswitch Engage to Unearth and everything in between (old metal, modern metal, metalcore, etc.).

Can anyone recommend some good replacement speakers preferably 16 ohms and no more than $70 USD. I'm playing through an Ashdown 60 watt tube head.
Warehouse speakers carry a Vintage 30 clone which apparently is darn fine.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Eminence Legends... or Eminence Texas Heats
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
There's a ton of sound clips on the Eminence website. For my personal tastes I like the Eminence Swamp Thang.
Your smartest option is to only buy two V30's, and put them either in the top half of the cab or in an X- Pattern.

V30's sound great paired with higher wattage speakers like the 120's you currently have.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Eminence speakers are a little cheaper.
Check out the Man O' War for British voiced metal and the Black Powder for American.
I think "The Governor" is their version of the v30.
Their website has sound clips.
Last edited by Ralphm2k at May 29, 2008,
Warehouse V30 clones Ftw
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece
Honestly I'd save your money until you can either get a better amp or afford nicer speakers. I don't know how far a speaker swap will go in the $70 range for 2 speakers.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
Honestly I'd save your money until you can either get a better amp or afford nicer speakers. I don't know how far a speaker swap will go in the $70 range for 2 speakers.

A better amp?? My amp is freakin amazing. You've obviously never played through an Ashdown. And I'm talking about $70 a piece for the speakers... I have 8 speakers to replace!
Quote by i_am_metalhead
A better amp?? My amp is freakin amazing. You've obviously never played through an Ashdown. And I'm talking about $70 a piece for the speakers... I have 8 speakers to replace!

Well from my perspective, its sort of an entry level tube amp that handles metal pretty well. Can't say I've played one personally or that the tone is bad, but I'm sure there is better out there. Always room for improvement (even on my own stuff, obviously).

Point being if you could spend $560($70x8) on speakers and sellthat Ashdown, that puts you in the range for a better amp that'd sound better or have better speakers to begin with.

$70 per speaker for 8? Why even bother doing all 8? What would you possibly be doing that needs 8 speakers? The best speakers for metal right now in my opinion the newer Celestions. The G12K-100's. They run about $100 apiece and they are amazing speakers.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Wait, 8 speakers? C'mon. Upgrade from two poor 4x12's to one good 2x12" with those new G12K-100's or something.

They are great cabs for what they are designed for... they have a really awesome bluesy rock voicing.

When bought them a couple years ago I was playing some metal but I was mostly playing more classic rock based stuff... so it was ideal for me when I bought it.

Also I want to keep the cabs I have now because Ashdown guitar amps are discontinued (their patents were sold to another company named Haydn) so its kind of like owning a rarity.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at May 30, 2008,